lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2021, 08:18 PM   #11
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 88 Gas DS - sudden, temporary power loss

The RPM limiter interrupts the spark just long enough to bring the RPM's below the threshold. About 1 second intervals back & forth on/off, on/off. Cart would continue to run & drive just be jerky on that 1 second interval - and would run "normally" by backing off the pedal just a little bit.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2021, 10:21 PM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
The RPM limiter interrupts the spark just long enough to bring the RPM's below the threshold. About 1 second intervals back & forth on/off, on/off. Cart would continue to run & drive just be jerky on that 1 second interval - and would run "normally" by backing off the pedal just a little bit.
That one second feels like forever though

Regardless I stand corrected. I missed that picture. That clutch is not happy. I’d suspect the spring is broken or it’s otherwise just worn and damaged. It’s a pain to clock those springs to replace it, I’d probably just buy a new clutch for it and be done.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 12:02 AM   #13
Toddyus
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
In your picture: was that running at the time that was taken? I've never seen a secondary clutch hold full open like that at rest.
No, that was not running. This is my first golf cart, so I didn't even realize it's open. If the clutch is stuck open, would that explain why the cart is super jumpy at throttle tip-in?

Thanks for all the advice guys. This is super helpful.
Toddyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 12:10 AM   #14
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddyus View Post
No, that was not running. This is my first golf cart, so I didn't even realize it's open. If the clutch is stuck open, would that explain why the cart is super jumpy at throttle tip-in?

Thanks for all the advice guys. This is super helpful.
At a stop the rear driven clutch should be completely closed, and the belt should rest even with the edge of the clutch, or ride just slightly above it. I’ll see if I can find a video that explains it… cvtech had a good one I found a while back
Old 12-23-2021, 12:12 AM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Sorry it was team. Here you go, 5 minutes well spent. Or 10 if you watch it twice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEvBGT8twM
Old 12-23-2021, 11:40 PM   #16
Toddyus
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Sorry it was team. Here you go, 5 minutes well spent. Or 10 if you watch it twice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEvBGT8twM
Great video. Makes a lot of sense. Started working on the clutch today. It's pretty well seized up, so letting it soak with some PB Blaster and will have another go at it. New secondary is on the way.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:15 PM   #17
Toddyus
Not Yet Wild

Wanted to circle back here with a conclusion for someone who might find this thread in the future. There were two separate issues here: 1) I hit the rev limiter, thus the sudden loss of power, and 2) thanks to the folks who responded to the thread, I learned my driven clutch was shot. I replaced it (nightmare of a job since everything was essentially rust-welded to the spindle) and no more herky-jerky takeoffs. Thanks for all the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car