lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2022, 07:46 PM   #1
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Transmission stuck in forward 1996 carryall

When I had my rear end out it was in neutral , and the lever got moved into forward. I had it apart but this happened after I had it back together. Now I can’t get the transmission to move back into neutral or reverse - I’m not sure what to do. I put the axle back in figured it would help trying to work the lever - but it didn’t help.

Hoping I don’t have to pull the axle again but if I do I want to know before I hook everything back up

Edit: didn’t have transmission apart at all. Did split the case at the differential (the lower half of the case on the clutch side )
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2022, 08:33 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Transmission stuck in forward 1996 carryall

I don't get it.
This is the old style axle with the separate transmission that bolts on correct?
Did you do anything to the transmission internally?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:46 PM   #3
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
I don't get it.
This is the old style axle with the separate transmission that bolts on correct?
Did you do anything to the transmission internally?
I changed nothing, and as far as I know I put it back together just as it came apart. It went together smooth. Yea split rear end, the old style I believe. And I only took apart the lower case not the upper case ,

I am finding threads in here that suggest driving forward and slamming it into reverse to jiggle something loose. Was seeing if there are any other options - I’m a day out on having it running and it’s cold and crappy out anyways. Just wanted to know if anybody thinks I’m screwed before I put it all back together and have to pull the axle again.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:55 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yeah if you didn't take anything apart on the transmission side, then there shouldn't be any issues internally.
Maybe it's just got knocked by something when it was going back together? Have you tried tapping on the lever with a mallet?
Maybe put hand pressure on the lever and put a good solid tap on the end of the shift shaft with a hammer and see if a little impact will knock it loose.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:59 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Disconnect the shifter cable from the transmission and see if it still is stuck. I had this happpen on my 93 carryall, the cable sheath had melted near the muffler and the cable was seized inside it. Shifter would move but not much. New cable and I was up and going again.

If cable moves fine the. You’ll need to pull the transmission off of the rear end and open it up. Chances are the linkage maybe got dropped or jarred or something and it’s jammed up. Should be pretty easy to identify once you get it open. There’s only like 3 bolts holding the transmission onto the rear and and it comes off without removing the rear end from the cart, maybe a 15 minute job to remove it.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:06 PM   #6
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Yeah if you didn't take anything apart on the transmission side, then there shouldn't be any issues internally.
Maybe it's just got knocked by something when it was going back together? Have you tried tapping on the lever with a mallet?
Maybe put hand pressure on the lever and put a good solid tap on the end of the shift shaft with a hammer and see if a little impact will knock it loose.
It got moved because my dumbass grabbed it and shifted it thinking it would shift right back, while I had the axle out. Will try maybe a little more force but the lever is plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Disconnect the shifter cable from the transmission and see if it still is stuck. I had this happpen on my 93 carryall, the cable sheath had melted near the muffler and the cable was seized inside it. Shifter would move but not much. New cable and I was up and going again.

If cable moves fine the. You’ll need to pull the transmission off of the rear end and open it up. Chances are the linkage maybe got dropped or jarred or something and it’s jammed up. Should be pretty easy to identify once you get it open. There’s only like 3 bolts holding the transmission onto the rear and and it comes off without removing the rear end from the cart, maybe a 15 minute job to remove it.
Stuck before I put the cable on and still stuck after I put the cable on, I wel as curious if the shifter would help it move. May have to drain the transmission and see if I can get it off but won’t there be bunch of gears and parts that fall out? Seems like something that would be a pain in the *** to do whil it’s still in the cart but I’ll take your word for it haha

Nevermind I was thinking the wrong side , it’s about 8? Bolts to remove the transmission again and a paid to get to most of them I think I would just drop the axle again. I wouldn’t know what linkage is messed up considering I put it together and I thought it was fine. One time almost everything came with the case (had axle on end and pulled case up over the shaft for the clutch) and the other time it stayed on the other shaft and I basically just lifted the case. It’s possible something got jarred slightly for sure but it went together very smoothly
Old 02-10-2022, 09:20 PM   #7
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

I just realized I made a mistake - I had clutch side apart but it’s not really the lower case. It’s the upper part. Still clutch side and still the transmission as far as I can tell.

Rolled cart back and forth while applying pressure and working the lever to no avail. Tapped with dead blow hammer, nothing.

About to throw it together and see if that transmission trick works
Old 02-11-2022, 12:16 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The transmission is the little part on the top. It bolts into the rear end with like 3 bolts, plus a couple smaller bolts and brackets that hold the shifter cable on. Literally takes 15 minutes to take it out if you take your time. No need to remove the entire axle. I believe They used the same rear axle for electric and gas models. Except in place of the electric motor there’s a transmission that bolts in where the electric motor would go. This is of course assuming the 1996 part is correct and it’s the 2 piece unit. If it’s the 97+ unitized trans then the whole thing does have to come out.

A picture would help verify either way.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:39 AM   #9
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
The transmission is the little part on the top. It bolts into the rear end with like 3 bolts, plus a couple smaller bolts and brackets that hold the shifter cable on. Literally takes 15 minutes to take it out if you take your time. No need to remove the entire axle. I believe They used the same rear axle for electric and gas models. Except in place of the electric motor there’s a transmission that bolts in where the electric motor would go. This is of course assuming the 1996 part is correct and it’s the 2 piece unit. If it’s the 97+ unitized trans then the whole thing does have to come out.

A picture would help verify either way.
here are some pictures i took before i had it apart. I'm sure its the split rear end because there are two separate cases that bolt together and you fill them separately (unless that is a characteristic of some third style rear end)

i dont have any good ones of the "transmission" that you speak of because these were just taken for my reference of other stuff but maybe you can point out what you mean.

the transmission according to the parts book is the entire upper case (clutch side) so I didnt' realize there was something else called/considered the transmission
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear end split.jpg (78.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg rear end out.jpg (81.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-11-2022, 08:41 AM   #10
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=70253

found this thread where somebody jacked up their cart and ran it at idle until the shifter moved again. figured its worth a try since I have the axle back under the cart at this point
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car