lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2022, 09:22 AM   #11
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Transmission stuck in forward 1996 carryall

Ok, yeah That is the transmission.
The other part is the axle. Remove the bolts that go from the axle case to the transmission and that should pull off and you can just pull that part out and figure out what went wrong. I would have to guess the shift lever didn't get aligned correctly when it got put back together.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2022, 09:49 AM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The other part is the axle. Remove the bolts that go from the axle case to the transmission and that should pull off and you can just pull that part out and figure out what went wrong. I would have to guess the shift lever didn't get aligned correctly when it got put back together.

I was struggling with an oil leak on my 93 coming out of the shifter shaft where it went into the trans. I must have gone in and out of that thing about 3 or 4 times looking for the right sized o ring to stop the leak. It’s been a few years but I do remember you’ve gotta get that shifter lined up just right with the shift fork and it falls off pretty easily. I’d bet it didn’t get lined back up.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:36 AM   #13
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
When I just had it apart there were loose gears laying there. you can see the gear i am talking about (its the middle gear) in the split picture. i'm not sure i want to take it apart sideways let alone in the cart.

what is the shift lever? (I'm sure its not in my pictures I Just want to know what i am looking for.) how do i know if my shift fork (shift lever?) isnt lined up?

Sucks it let it go into gear but not pop out - think i am going to try to run it on jack stands and work the lever before I pull anything apart again. really don't want to split the case, clean the case and apply a new gasket with the rear end in the cart either. that would be a giant pain in the nuts and you cant get to all of the bolts anyways (at least not very easily)

If the top part is the transmission I'm assuming the bottom is just the diff and I dont think theres any issue there by any means. Already filled the case with oil to check leaks so I might as well try to run it before draining everything again
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:51 AM   #14
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

No no, there are bolts that go in from the axle side of the case, and that whole assembly comes off still closed up. The old style axles were the same axle as an electric cart, and the transmission case assembly bolts on exactly the same way an electric motor does. There are 4 bolts that hold it to the axle case, and if you only remove those 4 the transmission unit slides off the axle. It may need some tapping with a mallet, but it does come off.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:51 AM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
When I just had it apart there were loose gears laying there. you can see the gear i am talking about (its the middle gear) in the split picture. i'm not sure i want to take it apart sideways let alone in the cart.

what is the shift lever? (I'm sure its not in my pictures I Just want to know what i am looking for.) how do i know if my shift fork (shift lever?) isnt lined up?

Sucks it let it go into gear but not pop out - think i am going to try to run it on jack stands and work the lever before I pull anything apart again. really don't want to split the case, clean the case and apply a new gasket with the rear end in the cart either. that would be a giant pain in the nuts and you cant get to all of the bolts anyways (at least not very easily)

If the top part is the transmission I'm assuming the bottom is just the diff and I dont think theres any issue there by any means. Already filled the case with oil to check leaks so I might as well try to run it before draining everything again

I think you’re misunderstanding. The transmission yes is separate from the axle/differential. The transmission is that part you show in the pictures and removes easily and quickly from the axle/differential without removing the entire axle from the cart.

I wouldn’t recommend splitting it open without removing it, however there’s only I think 3 bolts that hold it to the axle/diff.

The shift lever is the big thing on the top that the cable attaches to. Inside the transmission it aligns with the shift fork that slides the collar forward/reverse. We’re thinking the shift lever is not aligned with the shift fork internally. It will need to come back apart and you won’t have to completely remove everything internally but can “shimmy” it out a bit to slide the shift lever back over the fork.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:38 PM   #16
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I think you’re misunderstanding. The transmission yes is separate from the axle/differential. The transmission is that part you show in the pictures and removes easily and quickly from the axle/differential without removing the entire axle from the cart.

I wouldn’t recommend splitting it open without removing it, however there’s only I think 3 bolts that hold it to the axle/diff.

The shift lever is the big thing on the top that the cable attaches to. Inside the transmission it aligns with the shift fork that slides the collar forward/reverse. We’re thinking the shift lever is not aligned with the shift fork internally. It will need to come back apart and you won’t have to completely remove everything internally but can “shimmy” it out a bit to slide the shift lever back over the fork.
i think i definitely am misunderstanding. i am confusing diff / axle/ trans. going to go have a good hard look and report back because i think i am thinking of different parts than you guys. but that last part makes sense.

thanks guys i will go check it out
Old 02-11-2022, 04:43 PM   #17
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:

I am not seeing what you guys are talking about.

here are some pics. what i was considering the " transmission " has at least 9 bolts holding it to what i was calling the "diff"

and nothing that looks like it could be slid off slightly especially without screwing up existing gasket, etc

show me what i'm missing because i am making no sense of this

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RE1.jpg (61.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg RE2.jpg (51.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg RE3.jpg (69.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-11-2022, 06:10 PM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
I am not seeing what you guys are talking about.

here are some pics. what i was considering the " transmission " has at least 9 bolts holding it to what i was calling the "diff"

and nothing that looks like it could be slid off slightly especially without screwing up existing gasket, etc

show me what i'm missing because i am making no sense of this

thanks
It should be where I circled them in yellow. It’s been a few years but there are I think 3 around the outside of the case, and 2 smaller ones that hold on the bracket for the shift cable. Then it should slide off the input shaft for the axle and out you go. I do remember the one on the bottom being a little funky to get to, think I used a long extension and a wobble socket and it came right out
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 69250DEF-2BB0-49C4-8F3B-5EDB535EA27E.jpeg (96.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 20456225-53B7-45C3-A31B-0BBBDAE62687.jpeg (106.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-12-2022, 11:58 AM   #19
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
It should be where I circled them in yellow. It’s been a few years but there are I think 3 around the outside of the case, and 2 smaller ones that hold on the bracket for the shift cable. Then it should slide off the input shaft for the axle and out you go. I do remember the one on the bottom being a little funky to get to, think I used a long extension and a wobble socket and it came right out
the cover that comes off with those bolts is 9 different bolts. I’m going to ruin the gasket anyways I might as well pull the axle and do it right. There’s no way I won’t get frustrated trying to fight that case inside the frame haha
Old 02-12-2022, 11:59 AM   #20
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

When I get it apart how do I tell what the shift fork is and if it’s in the right position ?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car