lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2022, 10:11 PM   #1
michaelg30534
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Gas Club Car Carryall “engine” braking downhill

Hey everyone,

I just bought a 2005 carryall turf 2 this week and it has the very rare Kawasaki fe400 engine in it. The thing is a beast power wise. However, I noticed going down hill the engine does not catch the belt and I have to use the brakes to stop the cart because the engine/clutches will just let it free fall. I also have a 1996 carryall 2 with the fe290 engine and it will literally stop going down hills without using any brakes, the engine and clutches let it slowly go down the hill.

Why is my 2005 cart not getting any “engine braking”? I’m guessing it has something to do with clutches or springs? But I don’t know where to begin to diagnose and fix the problem. The brakes do a good job of stopping the cart on hills, but I’m so use to the other cart not having to use my brakes, that I find myself in situations that I’m locking the cart up going down steep hills. I would really like my newer cart to slowly descend like my older cart does. Any help would be appreciated!
michaelg30534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2022, 08:29 AM   #2
michaelg30534
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Gas Club Car Carryall “engine” braking downhill

Anyone got any suggestions before I starting buy clutches and clutch pullers? I’d appreciate the help!
Old 02-25-2022, 09:14 AM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

As you let off the gas going down hills the rpm drops and the drive clutch relaxes it's tension on the belt.
I'm not sure of any of them that actually hold tension on the belt for braking.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:23 AM   #4
michaelg30534
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The reason I’m asking, is because my 1996 carryall and my parents 1996 DS will almost come to a complete stop going down the hill from the belt tension before kicking into free fall. But if you maintain a little gas going down hill with both of those carts you don’t even have to touch the brakes going down one of our big hills, and it’s straight up and down.

As soon as my 2005 carryall goes down that same hill it immediately goes into free fall and you have to hold the brakes very hard going down. I wish it would hold itself back like the other two carts we have. That’s why I was asking to see if there’s anything I can do to help with it.

It seems to me that the drive clutch is just releasing the belt tension much quicker and doesn’t hold the cart back any. I was thinking if I replaced that with a new clutch it might help my problem, but I wanted to ask a few of you experts what you thought before going that route.

I know the engine and belts can brake themselves because I can do it on my other carts, I just have to figure out what I’m missing on my newer cart for it to do the same.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:44 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Is yours a key start? Stays running as long as the key is on?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:13 AM   #6
michaelg30534
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Is yours a key start? Stays running as long as the key is on?
Yes it is.
Old 02-25-2022, 10:37 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelg30534 View Post
The reason I’m asking, is because my 1996 carryall and my parents 1996 DS will almost come to a complete stop going down the hill from the belt tension before kicking into free fall. But if you maintain a little gas going down hill with both of those carts you don’t even have to touch the brakes going down one of our big hills, and it’s straight up and down.
When I lived in Georgia there was a boat ramp near me at the river. We would go there almost every day when riding the golf carts around and it had a very long steep hill dropping down to the landing.

I’ve had a lot of gas club cars, DS and carryalls. As well as ezgo’s and Yamahas. I’ve never had one behave like youre describing here. If I didn’t ride the brakes going down they would coast at over 30mph, which frankly is too fast for me in a golf cart and gets scary.

I suspect your new cart is working correctly and something is hanging up on your old cart and your parents cart. A little belt drag is normal but I’ve never had one that would come to a complete stop.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:57 AM   #8
michaelg30534
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
When I lived in Georgia there was a boat ramp near me at the river. We would go there almost every day when riding the golf carts around and it had a very long steep hill dropping down to the landing.

I’ve had a lot of gas club cars, DS and carryalls. As well as ezgo’s and Yamahas. I’ve never had one behave like youre describing here. If I didn’t ride the brakes going down they would coast at over 30mph, which frankly is too fast for me in a golf cart and gets scary.

I suspect your new cart is working correctly and something is hanging up on your old cart and your parents cart. A little belt drag is normal but I’ve never had one that would come to a complete stop.
Hmmm. That is interesting. Im not sure what would but hung up because they seem to run perfect at all other times. If something is hung up, I may hang it up on my newer cart because it is certainly a nice feature to not have to ride brakes down hills.

I may have worded it wrong earlier. It won’t come to a complete stop with just the “engine braking” but it will slow to 3-4 mph and then kick in to the “neutral free fall” and go as fast as possible down the hill until you apply brakes. But if you barely keep the engine rpm’s running it will descend down the hill less than 5 mph pretty as you’ve ever seen. No brakes needed. It is ver nice and safe for all that drive the carts with this feature, because unless you just let it start free falling from the beginning, it maintains a slow speed down the hill the whole way.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:37 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If you feather the throttle it will do as you described because it is keeping the primary clutch engaged. I usually 2 foot my ezgo on steep hills to the engine spinning still giving it gas.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 12:57 PM   #10
michaelg30534
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
If you feather the throttle it will do as you described because it is keeping the primary clutch engaged. I usually 2 foot my ezgo on steep hills to the engine spinning still giving it gas.
I’ve tried that with the newer cart. It will just keep getting faster and faster down the hill while just barely feathering the throttle. It will run 30+ mph down the hill doing this if I don’t really hold the brake down.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car