lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default IQ with Alltax 500 amp controller?

Just wondering if any member here has a CC Precedent "IQ" with PQ motor and Alltrax 500amp controller? Reason Im asking is because as you guys know, the motor used in the IQ's are shunt motors. Core in these type motors are wound up with fine wire vs the thicker wire strand used in the series motor. Because thin wire has a tendancy to heat up more then thick wire, shunt motors are limited to high amperage controllers specifically to any over 500amps. High amp controllers may "fry" IQ motors. Just wanted to find out if anyone had this setup before I go with it.

Im thinking of going with the 500 vs the 400 because it offers a bigger box (heat sink area). And also I believe that running a 500amp controller at 80%-400amp capacity will also reduce heat. Will be using cart at rv park in the summer so "overheating" is a concern. With this setup, I think I may get by especially because its a 48v as opposed to a 36v. I was told that the higher the voltage the lower the amperage pull. Guess this is why a stock 36v cart (EZ) has a higher amp controller vs a stock 48v (CC) controller. What are your thoungs? thx
easydoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: IQ with Alltax 500 amp controller?

I would contact Tahoe DawgZ71 on shunt motors and controls.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok, thanks, will PM him.....
Old 11-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

So what do you want to know? I've installed four DCX500 Alltrax's in IQ carts. And I run a DCX500 in my cart, which is Regen 2 but same motor as IQ.

In three of the carts including mine, I have ran the DCX500 withe the Admiral MOT A2 high speed motor.

My DCX500 recently died so I had a spare DCX400 so can tell you the difference between them.

Also one of the IQ carts (was a DS) ran the DCX500 with an IQ Plum Quick.
Ran very well, but the owner later swapped it for an Admiral MOT A2 later as he wanted more speed.
The PQ ran with the 500 amp just fine.

And for the record, with a DCX500 and my Admiral I have significant speed and torque, although I have no lift (see my avatar). I easily run 27-28 mph on the flat, 35+ down a hill and will hold 25mph up a long hill. I have huge torque, in fact, I have a tow bar setup and I routinely tow stranded carts with out a problem.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

What difference did you notice between the DCX500 and the DCX400? Don`t leave us hanging!!

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartTrader View Post
What difference did you notice between the DCX500 and the DCX400? Don`t leave us hanging!!

CartTrader
Most definitely a difference, faster acceleration, more torque... I would not feel as comfortable towing with the 400amp as I do with the 500 amp. Once you've done 500, you'll never look back. Same with the folks I have upgraded. There is quite a difference between the two controllers, the 500 amp is way beefier (longer and a lot heavier). You'll still get the same top speed with each controller, though, just fast and snappier with the 500amp.

What I have learned though over the years with DCX controllers is that they HAVE to run the right field map for the motor you are running them with. If not you WILL damage the controller. So if you get a DCX and you are running a stock motor, but later you change to something else, you have to change the motor profile (field map) or else it will blow-up, maybe not right away, but it will die. This isn't explicitly clear in any of the documentation.

Oh and one more note, with the 500 amp you do need a 400 amp continuous solenoid and since I tow I run 2 gauge welding cable and have installed 2 gauge on the other three I have upgraded.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for that. Which amp would you recommend to run at low speeds without heating up. I was thinking the 500 since its bigger. Here are my questions
1. Is running a 500 with pq shunt motor going to fry motor over the long run?
2. With your 500 and pq are you running controller at 100%
3. Would the larger 500 fit between the batteries where original curtis is?
4. If I run a 400 at 100% AND 500 at 80% both equaling 400amps at that point. Would 500 run cooler then 400?
5. What would you recommend I go with?

thanks a million
Old 11-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
Thanks for that. Which amp would you recommend to run at low speeds without heating up. I was thinking the 500 since its bigger. Here are my questions
4. If I run a 400 at 100% AND 500 at 80% both equaling 400amps at that point. Would 500 run cooler then 400?

thanks a million

A. It should not cause a problem, but like always depends on how much your abuse the cart and the situation, get any cart into a stall situation and you are asking for trouble.

A. On the cart that did have the PQ and 500 it was set at 100% output.

A. I believe so but can't confirm for sure as all of the IQs were DS carts. i am sure you will have to make some adjustments.

A. Haven't done this side by side but the logic would say yes.

A. 500amp, cause you can always turn it down, you can't turn up a 400amp when it's pushing 400amp.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

So for comparison, since I just got my DCX500 back from Alltrax here is the DCX400 and DCX500 side by side, the 400 is still installed...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4158.jpg (109.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4159.jpg (113.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

CJ that is a huge difference. Im going to have to get creative to fit that monster in between the batteries in an CC Prec IQ. I do have some ideas which will call for rearranging the solenoid. Cant wait. thx man, you been lots of help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car