lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
mistermnkim
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default ezgo dcs grind

Well I kinda got the shaft with this cart I just bought, that being said I love my cart, I took a chance and bought this cart with no bats. I put 6 new batteries in today hooked everything up and she runs great!! BUT my first spin revealed a loud grinding noise from the rear, I drove back to the house and yes the rearend was dry no oil at all. I filled it but figured it was too late and yes it makes an awful noise. I guess my question is do i rebuild or just find a used rearend to put in?
mistermnkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: ezgo dcs grind

Put oil in it and it may be OK.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you put oil in it and it still grinds likely you have a very worn differential on your hands. If you are not afraid you can replace every bearing and cross your fingers on the gear sets.... new diff is right around $900 and used good TXT diff is almost impossible to find.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
mistermnkim
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys! and I did try oil no luck so for the last hour i tore everything down. The outer bearings look and feel great the inner diff bearing feel a little rough but not enough for what i was hearing. The gears look great at least the ring gear does so I turned the cart on and turned the motor over and there is the noise again!! Im not familiar with the motor/diff hookup but either something in the motor or the pinion bearing if there is one? is bad. It got dark on me so ill have to wait till tomorrow. Does anyone have a pic of the motor diff assy? Thanks again guys!!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
rib33024

Does it look like this ?, not sure what cart where talking about here

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: ezgo dcs grind

When you pull the motor it will have a coupling on the end of the motor shaft. It's splind to mat to the input shaft. The input will be sticking out of the rear end. Take a pair of snap ring pliers and pull the snap ring out then the input shaft will slide out. Check it. I had to replace one on my old 1989 E-Z-GO.

Motor coupler

Rear End

Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yeah, I will attach the exploded TXT electric diff view below.
The input shaft assembly (5,9,16) is very susceptible to damage when lubrication is low. It is at the top of the motor and spins faster than most other parts in the diff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TXT Elec Diff Exploded.JPG (57.6 KB, 35 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
mistermnkim
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks a million guys!! I feel better now I was pricing motors thinking it might be the problem but now i think its in the bearing at the top right after the motor? if that sounds right. I will post pics tomorrow evening when I get it apart.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
mistermnkim
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

looking at the rearend and the breakdowns you posted is there press in plugs You must remove to get to some of the upper gears? kinda like a freeze plug?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
rib33024

Thats where the bearings are, look in my post at # 24--25, or in scotty's post # 26
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO