lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
CactusPilot
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2000 EZGO TXT Gas - Unusual Problem Starting When Hot !!!

Hello,

New to the cart world and I'm glad to have found this site.

Here is my story..last week I bought a nice looking lifted 2000 EZGO TXT Gas (K400 Vin 1322030).
I took it to a local cart shop and had a tuneup/checkup/oil change etc., they checked compression, changed plugs and filters, checked battery voltage and gave me a green light on the condition of the cart.

Last night I took the kids out for a long drive. After the cart warmed up and every time I came to a stop it would not start back up. It acts like a TOTAL dead battery - no turning over at all. NOW, I've searched this site and read other posts with possible causes..like, coil, compression, gas cap etc, etc.

However, here is the UNUSUAL part. After I engage the parking brake ( the top part of the brake pedal) AND THEN hit the gas pedal it starts up and drives with no issues until I stop again. It does it EVERY-TIME I stop and when its HOT only..??? Any Clues anyone?

thanks in advance.....

PS my other question is..the driver seat gets VERY hot! Is this normal on gas powered carts on long drives? do they make cooling fans for the engine? I live in Arizona so I can tolerate hot but not on my bottom so much

Also, can someone give me some technical info on this cart..what kind of engine, horsepower, etc..?
CactusPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2011, 04:14 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 EZGO TXT Gas - Unusual Problem Starting When Hot !!!

Here is my best guess. The microswitch on your throttle pedal has gone bad and is making intermittant connection. It is not so much the heat but rather the vibration of the cart running that causes it to fail. When you have the parking brake on and then touch the throttle the brake flies off with a bang which is the same as tapping on the switch which then temporarily makes it work. Now I could be wrong but I would change the switch.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
CactusPilot
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the response..It's worth a try. I will look for a replacement switch.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
CactusPilot
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is a picture of the EZGO the day I bought It..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0349.jpg (89.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-21-2011, 05:13 AM   #5
glama
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a 2007 txt with same problem although have not used brake pedal to get going again so far I just keep depressing gas pedal and it goes. Have cleaned all ground connections & checked micro switch connections.
Still don't know what to repair.
glama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
stretchman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Intermittent problems, love to hate em. Key switches get loose and corroded where the terminal is attached to the insulator board, so bad that they will spin around, possible for the brake pedal release to jar that connection. Try depressing the accel pedal and bang on the body above the key switch, or check it the right way and pull the key switch out and inspect, this is a very common problem with both gas and electric ezgo carts
stretchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
scunan
Not Yet Wild

That is a nice looking cart
scunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
CactusPilot
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the responses and compliments guys..I appreciate it.

I just bought the micro-switch on ebay for less than a $10 bucks... I will report after it arrives and I install it...it looks kind of difficult to get too.

Anyone know the easiest way to replace the switch?

Here is the link to ebay if anyone else wants to try this fix..Hopefully.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123
Old 07-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
CactusPilot
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

UPDATE: EZ-NOGO!

Well, I changed/replaced the accelerator micro-switch with no luck. :( By the way, It was very easy to get to once I read the repair manual :)

Same as before. Seems like when the cart warms up (and that is relative..I live in Arizona and its 109 F outside) and I come to a stop, the cart does not start up when I depress the accelerator. NO CRANK, NOGO

The ONLY way I get it to start/crank and go is by setting the Parking Brake first and THEN pressing the accelerator. This causes the brake pedal to slam back, and it starts right up every time. VERY STRANGE.

Any more ideas would be appreciated. Please keep in mind this happens only when it warms up after a couple times around the block.

Thanks again..
Old 07-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
CactusPilot
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchman View Post
Intermittent problems, love to hate em. Key switches get loose and corroded where the terminal is attached to the insulator board, so bad that they will spin around, possible for the brake pedal release to jar that connection. Try depressing the accel pedal and bang on the body above the key switch, or check it the right way and pull the key switch out and inspect, this is a very common problem with both gas and electric ezgo carts
Thank you for responding. I will pull the key switch out next and inspect..will update.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO