lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
archer161
Not Yet Wild

Default What size motor do I need??

Ok, This is my first ever post and my first ever cart to build into a hunting vehicle. i have 2007 ezgo txt 36 volt PDS cart to start with. I have read some on the commerical buggies and they are using 30 and even 40 horsepower motors on there carts. I have looked around and can only find like 12 hp motors to build my cart with. I am going to upgrade to a 48 volt system with 8-6volt batteries. Why can't i find the big hp motors that they are using?? Do I need the big hp motors?? I'm not into speed but will have to pull up hills and have torque!!
archer161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What size motor do I need??

Welcome to BGW.

A PDS cart has a Sepex (Separately Excited aka Shunt Wound) motor and most guys start with a Series cart (Series wound motor) to build off-road vehicles.
However, some have turned PDS carts into a hunting buggies, so it is doable.

A high HP motor will give you more torque and/or speed, but will reduce run-time and unless you want to pull a trailer with more batteries, 8 x 6V batteries is about all you can stuff into a TXT body style.
So, one of the many compromises will be raw power vs Run-time.

My advise is to clearly define what you want your cart to do and use no more motor than is needed to accomplish that goal.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
archer161
Not Yet Wild

Ok, If I want to go no faster then 20 to 25 mph , but want it to have lots of torque with a moderate range of run time. I'm also going to put in the 4 wheel drive system in this cart that comes with a two speed axle. Does that make me need more hp or can a 12 hp motor do it all???? I'm very green at this and have time to research before I built it just need advice on what is the best way to go!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm into troubleshooting rather than building, so it's best for me to defer to others to answer your questions, but until they chime in, check out these sites.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php

The guys at Plum Quick can probably answer your motor questions and the others can probably answer the rest, or at least steer you in the right direction.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well you have a PDS carg which is more associated with speed rather than torque but you can get both.

Some starting places would be upgrading all of your cables, not just the battery cables but all of the cables going to the controller and motor too, so we do not create a bottle neck effect. (cartsunlimited)

Next would be going 48v. You have several options that you need to consider battery wise how you are going to mount them before you buy cables and realize you do not have enough. There are 2 really good threads that I know of on this board where 8 batteries were fitted under the seat. I would reccommend the standard 6 batteries under the seat, then the 2 additional batteries in the bagwell, enclosed with some marine or equal to battery boxes.

After that look into AT LEAST a 400amp controller. Also upgrading the solenoid, resistor and diode at the same time. (cartsunlimited has package deals on controllers and cables and the other things I stated get upgraded along with the controller.)

Last but def not least would be your motor. You can buy a torque motor or send yours out to a company like, plumquick, and they can build it to your specifications.

Also remember before you work on your CART PERIOD flip the run/tow switch to TOW.

Give Scottyb a call and tell him what your goals are and he will get you headed down the right path

Colton
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
archer161
Not Yet Wild

Thinks for the info so far. I'm going to get started on it soon and will being asking more dum questions later!!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer161 View Post
.............. and will being asking more dum questions later!!
The only dumb questions are the ones not asked.

Good luck and post pictures of your build as it progresses.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW!
I have no experience with 20+hp electric carts but, I can tell you this;
I recommend a D&D torque motor & 48 volts with the Ezgo PDS system.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Welcome to BGW!
I have no experience with 20+hp electric carts but, I can tell you this;
I recommend a D&D torque motor & 48 volts with the Ezgo PDS system.
Go Terrrrrrrryyyyyyyy
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer161 View Post
Ok, If I want to go no faster then 20 to 25 mph , but want it to have lots of torque with a moderate range of run time. I'm also going to put in the 4 wheel drive system in this cart that comes with a two speed axle. Does that make me need more hp or can a 12 hp motor do it all???? I'm very green at this and have time to research before I built it just need advice on what is the best way to go!!!
Imaginative Manufacturing one of the site sponsors sells the kit you want.
A guy just built his PDS cart into the 4x4 system and loves it. it uses a single motor and has a new alltrax controller as well as the new front assembly and all the parts to make it 4 wheel drive.

Don't try and piece it together it wont work right, just buy the kit and be done with it.
Here is the parts list for a pds cart.

That's my 2 cents.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO