lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 85 G2 not charging even after checked & replaced everything

Next would be as SMALLBLOCK suggested and check the resistance of the st/gen charging field. That would be the red and green wires coming out of the st/gen. To do this, first unplug the red and green wires at the generator and measure the resistance of the wires that come from the st/gen with your meter. It should be 5 ohms if it's good. I suspect that due to the fact that your st/gen is new that this will check out ok. (You should have gotten a fairly strong inductive arc when touching the green wire to bat - and not a weak spark). After checking the gen field and if it's ok, I'm thinking that you may have a corroded wire or connector. At this time you should also check continuity of the green wire between the regulator and the st/gen. Also, examine the connectors for the red and green wires at the st/gen carefully. Let us know what you find - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
redmuns
Not Yet Wild

Here we go with more testing.....I check the resistance of the starter/gen, just as you said to do. The ohms readings jumped all over the place and went below 2 and over 5. I checked for corroded connections and there isn't any that I could see.
redmuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

You need to take the loom and tape off all the wires and check everything. Thats how i found what was wrong with one of my 9s. All the wiring looked good on the outside but once i took it apart.
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #14
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I agree with G1-G9 that there may be wire problems inside the bundle (quite possibly the green wire !!). If you wanted to, you could test the starter/gen again, only this time do the test right at the st/gen. (st/gen red wire to bat + and st/gen green wire momentary touch to bat - while running - volts should jump up). That would bypass any problems with wires and prove out that the st/gen is ok. If st/gen is ok (probably is - it's new), then you can tear the harness apart. Keep at it, you'll get it !! - RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 10-09-2012 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: corrected
Old 10-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
redmuns
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I started looking through the wires and realized there was one thing I forgot to check, which is the solenoid, which was never replaced. The connectors are rusted and when I took it apart, it is full of rust. I have a new one on the way. I sure hope this the fix because really do not want to go through the wiring harness if I don't have to.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Let us know the outcome of the solenoid replacement. Not really sure that will fix ya, but who knows!?!? Sounds like it was looking pretty bad, but apparently it was still energizing the starter/gen. - RAY
Old 10-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #17
redmuns
Not Yet Wild

Ok,solenoid didn't fix it, but was worth a shot. I took the wiring harness apart looked at all the wires, tested continuity is each connection and wire,perfect
......so should I replace the start/gen again....kinda looks that way...right
Old 10-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #18
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Assuming that your starter/generator has been cranking your engine ok, says that the starter portion of your starter/generator is good. The only thing needed then for your starter/generator to be a generator is field current after it's running, and that is supplied through the red and green wires. Try putting current directly into the field as suggested in post #14 to see if the generator has output. If still no output, I guess another starter/generator is in order. Let us know - RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 10-19-2012 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: add info.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #19
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Good Info check charging
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha