lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Bmw2074
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Ezgo won't run

I have a 1987 ezgo marathon and im having problems with it wanting to run. The cart will work perfectly fine for a few days or even weeks, but then out of the blue it will act like it does not want to go. I will hit the gas and I feel the cart engugae and try to roll, but it won't move until I give it a push to get it rolling. Once I push it to get it rolling, it will run until I stop again, which could be as much as an hour of run time. Once I stop, it won't run until I push it off again. I'm having this problem in forward and reverse.

I have tested the pack, per the instructions found on this site, as well as each individual battery and it is testing great. I have also disconnected and cleaned all the connections found on the pack, coil, and control box but nothing seems to help. I jacked the rear of the cart up and hit the gas and it seems to work fine. As soon as I put the cart back on the ground, and hit the gas it won't roll. I recently started to hear a high pitched electric squeal or buzz coming from the control box when this problem occurs, but I'm not sure what's causing the control box to make the noise. Is the noise trying to tell me that my control box is going bad, or is there something else that I need to look at?

Can anyone please help me to figure out what is going on with my cart, because I use it almost daily and miss having it running.

Thanks for all the help, Ben.
Bmw2074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo won't run

The 'control box' is actually a box of resistor coils. I think you can take the cover off and see if you have a broken coil that is not making good contact.
Caution: Do this before running the cart as the coils get very HOT!
If the coils are all intact then my next guess is worn motor brushes.
Thank you for checking the batteries and cable connections before posting.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Bmw2074
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the fast response. I will try to take the cover off of the box and look at the coils. How will I know if one of them is bad? Will it be burnt or something obvious like that?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, they will all be burnt, they are toaster oven parts One may be broken, try moving them with a screwdriver to see if in fact one is not attached at one end? OR?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Bmw2074
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok Scottyb I got the control box off but I can not find out how to look inside of it. It appears as if it is a sealed box with the exception of the side plates. The box is a Curtis PMC model number 1204-009.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Bud Man
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

That is not a resistor cart if it has the curtis 1204 in it.
Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes Stop!
87 with a controller is a converted cart.
smoke pop ans sizzle from the controller is not good!
Can you post pics of your set up? So we can all get on the same page.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Bmw2074
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the help guys. Let me first say that I'm new to this stuff so I did not realize that my cart was converted. I got the cart from a guy about a year ago and he told me that it was a 1987 but I'm not 100% sure of the year. I know its older based on the body style, but that's where my knowledge stops. I'm away from the house now but I will send some pics when I get back home. Thank you all for your support and help. You guys are life savers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw2074 View Post
Thanks for all the help guys. Let me first say that I'm new to this stuff so I did not realize that my cart was converted. I got the cart from a guy about a year ago and he told me that it was a 1987 but I'm not 100% sure of the year. I know its older based on the body style, but that's where my knowledge stops. I'm away from the house now but I will send some pics when I get back home. Thank you all for your support and help. You guys are life savers.

Post a pic of the ID tag on the passenger side of the center floor bump if you can, too.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
Bmw2074
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry it took so long but here are the pics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1348621724521.jpg (62.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1348621765406.jpg (82.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1348621786677.jpg (77.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1348621821101.jpg (71.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1348621841529.jpg (64.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO