lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 88 ezgo 2 cycle flooding out runs fine on top end

I bought my son and I a 1988 ezgo marathon, its running but it has a few issues, the first being if you give it to much gas it seems to flood out and have no power, you can hear the engine bogging down then rev up and it jerks forward,. It runs fine at higher speeds over 20mph on level ground, I have cleaned carb, burnt muffler in a fire, disassembled fuel pump and clean it, the diaphragm looks good no holes or rips. Ensured airbox has no leaks also the plug is new qwhen it dies you can pull choke out and push it back in and it fires up until the next time you give it to much throttle, new to this forum and to golf carts but this has really got me stumped thanks for your help
Dmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: 88 ezgo 2 cycle flooding out runs fine on tope end

Welcome to BGWIt really sounds like it's starving for fuel not flooding.Remove the fuel line at the carb with the cart on stands and crank it see if you have a steady gas flow.you also may have a restricted gas filter or a possible air leak in the fuel line I would look in this area. Good luck and keep us posted.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks that makes sense, I noticed when. I had the carb off that the fuel was barely dripping out of filter, but it looks new, being new to this I assumed it was but def worth a try! atleast I have a new direction to look now!
Old 11-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

This site is extremely helpful for beginners can't wait to get home to try it out lol
Old 11-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
racin161
Gone Wild

No problem report back!!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 ezgo 2 cycle flooding out runs fine on top end

Well I replaced fuel filter checked line , now it will not move. If I jack it up it will run fine but when I try to take off it is sluggish, revs up and jerks forward then dies . Do you think it could be clutches? very frustraidea, getting plenty of fuel! Compression is 140, so I have no idea.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
racin161
Gone Wild

Yes it could be a sticking clutch the one on the rearend driven should be closed and the drive one on engine open when at rest. They have been known to stick so you may want to put it on stands again and start it then check the operation of both clutches. The rear should open and the drive should close raising the belt with rpm's. Let us know what you find.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I noticed last night they are operating correctly when in the air but one wheel spins faster than the other, are these carts positive traction? Also if I intentionally gave it too much gas it would die even in the airthats why I'm back to fuel air spark. Got it for my kid to enjoy but so far nothing but aggravation
Old 11-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Deferential will do that so it sounds ok.
I think you need to do a compression test.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The compression is checking at just over 139psi almost 140, what I've read that's near perfect, I'm gna try a brand new NGK BP5HS plug and see if that helps cleaned the old one and it was wet with fuel IDK if not guess I will just have to park it for awhile and pay someone that knows what they are doing
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO