lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
s1120
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: got my first cart!! early 80's lots of little issues

Thanks for the info!!!

OK, so a few more Q's for you guys...

Im reading up on the throttle adjustment. Mine looks to be set up a little difernet. Now if Im not mastaken the 83 is the odd ball right?? My linkedge looks a bit diferent.

Also the plug wire runs right on top of the exoust pipe at times. Anyone have a picture of a 83 engine campartment so I can see how some of the wires SHOULD be routed?

And... Im looking for more aggressive rear tires for it. What sizes will fit on stock wheels, and hight. Looks like quite a bit of room back there, but dont want to lay down a ton of cash right now.

IM sure I will have many more things to ask. :)
s1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

regardless of the setup linkage-wise, the theory is the same - as the pedal is depressed, *somewhere* down the linkage chain there's going to be a microswitch that turns on the ignition as the pedal is depressed. A little close scrutiny (combined with the fact that the switch emits an audible "click" as it engages - VERY handy for doing adjustments with the ignition turned off to prevent accidents) should net You an idea of which way the switch needs to be adjusted. Keep in mind the pedal should travel about 3/4" at the top of it before the switch "clicks" (that will give you insurance that the switch will disengage as the pedal is released).

Stock tires are generally 8X8-16's, but you can get away with 18's on a stock suspension without issues (20's are pushing it and depending on the condition of the suspension, ride height, etc can occasionally cause rubbing issues) - 8X8-18 is a relatively standard lawn and garden tire (tractors, etc) so a visit to your local Tractor Supply (or for that matter even some Walmarts stock lawn and garden tires) should find what you want ... Otherwise, it's always a good idea to pick up the phone and call one of the many site sponsors, they can often match pricing as well as have some creative ideas for You.

As to the wire routing, on the Marathons there is generally a small metal tab coming off the engine at the head that has a small divot or notch in it - this was originally intended to hold the spark plug wire away from the exhaust (a good zip tie will ensure the wire doesn't jump out of the notch and should be fine there as the heat isn't very severe at that point)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
s1120
Not Yet Wild

Thanks agean!! I have a few connections in the L&G hobby so I was hoping that size tire might fit. Ive been into the Tractor/mower/ equipment hobby for a very long time!! I think I have about 10-15 tractors. :)

I do have that bracket with the notch in it. Im guessing the wire was probably replaced at one time before and maybe a little longer, so hangs down. It thats all it was holding it, Im going to sheld it with some hose, and wire tie it to the bracket to protect it.

Thanks agean on the adjustment procedure!! I have to hit that. My spring on the cable is there, but its rusted, and has no tention. Ill replace it and adjust. So about pen spring size... but maybe a tick stronger if I can find it right???
Old 11-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
s1120
Not Yet Wild

OK... so I know im being a pain in the butt here.. :D

OK, checking it out, and the drive belt is real frayed, and cracked.. so I need to get a belt for it. So... I will be riding mostly in my yard, and woods, that has hills, and tight trails. You think I might be better off going wiht the shorter belt mod?? Or just get the stock belt?? I need to get one eather way. The shorter on is a HP3004 right???
Old 11-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The HP3004 is the correct *short* belt for your cart (and it will definitely add a bit of takeoff power as well as hill climbing and pulling ability) - as to the spring, you're correct that if you can find one a tad heavier than a pen spring that's the way to go (but don't be afraid to use a pen spring in the interim - I ran one for an entire season on my 88 without a hitch)

"L&G Hobby" - that's funny to me, I groom about 22 acres of lawn so to ME, having multiple tractors, etc is more of a neccessity or contingency than an actual "Hobby" - maybe I'll try and look at it that way from now on, prob save myself all the grumbling and drinking when things invariably break down, LOL
Old 11-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
s1120
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
The HP3004 is the correct *short* belt for your cart (and it will definitely add a bit of takeoff power as well as hill climbing and pulling ability) - as to the spring, you're correct that if you can find one a tad heavier than a pen spring that's the way to go (but don't be afraid to use a pen spring in the interim - I ran one for an entire season on my 88 without a hitch)

"L&G Hobby" - that's funny to me, I groom about 22 acres of lawn so to ME, having multiple tractors, etc is more of a neccessity or contingency than an actual "Hobby" - maybe I'll try and look at it that way from now on, prob save myself all the grumbling and drinking when things invariably break down, LOL
LOL. oh ya. I help run a good size web forum for Tractors also.

Just like this cart stuff... you know... you get one... try to fix it, read up on it.... then you get another.... and another.... lather, rince repeat.....
Old 11-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #17
s1120
Not Yet Wild

Ok I see a issue... First off the throttle bracket is loose... And the spring is on the wrong side... And the butterfly opens about a 1/4 way before the micro switch clicks!!! So I got to get to work!

Here is a pic as I got it ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (240.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #18
s1120
Not Yet Wild

OK learning some things here. So the throttle cable does not open the throttle... just allow if to open from the spring on the throttle shaft... strange but makes sence now that I see it..

The through bolt that holds that throttle bracket on is stripped, so I pulled that, got a new bolt and lock nut to hold on the bracket. The bolt is also the ground point foe the engine. I am replacing the engine growing strap at the same time.. I got my spring at the hard were store.. found one the size of a pen spring... but just stronger. Hope to get all that in, and set the next day or two..

Anyone know the NGK number on the spark plug?? I have a lot of them at work, and hoping I might have the right one.

I'm really liking working on these things so far!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

BP5HS is your huckleberry ... And yeah, DEFINITELY get the grounding solid, as that's the number one cause of electrical malfunctions, charging issues, etc ...
Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #20
s1120
Not Yet Wild

Oh ya! I'm going to clean the connection on the frame also. A new pos cables going on also. Its almost broken through.

I'm surprised this thing runs
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO