lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
Lilloy2008
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: I know it's a Marathon, but....

I believe it is most definitely an 88'. I have an 88' and the engine bay is identical, as well as the front end and mine also has the intake louvers.
Lilloy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
mclaughlinle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
so you don't have any friends at the camp that can go over and get you the numbers??
I wish... if it was that simple I would have already had an answer LOL
mclaughlinle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
mclaughlinle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilloy2008 View Post
I believe it is most definitely an 88'. I have an 88' and the engine bay is identical, as well as the front end and mine also has the intake louvers.
OK, excellent, thank you :)
Old 03-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

yeah, Mike's got it wrong, 1988 was still the same orientation as the 80-87 (Having owned two of them, still currently have one that is my "daily driver", etc - I'm relatively sure having pulled and rebuilt both engines, LOL) ...

Again - with THAT engine orientation and the plastic cowl guard, providing someone didn't put an 88-up cowl guard on an older cart (always a distant possibility) it's an 88.

1988 was an interim year, EZGO still held onto the 244cc 2PG engine from previous models, however the BV18 carb was replaced with the BV21 as well as a one-year-only high-flow exhaust system which gave the 1988 stock engine just over 11hp versus the stock 2PG from prior years which had a 9hp max output. The Engine orientation was reserved as the rear end design was unchanged, however all 1988 models had the DANA rear end (which was not standard - but available - on prior year models) ... Also new for 1988 was the chopped metal cowl with the plastic front trim cap (which they kepy on all Marathon models until the end of production) ... Many parts from the Marathons are interchangeable, but the 88's are an exception for some items, especially engine parts (new-style starter/gen bracket, different headpipe and muffler, different intake, carb, etc, and slightly different cabling if I recall.)

My current 88 has the governor disabled and runs just over 24mph on flat ground running 22" tires - as much as I love my new fancy-schmantzy Yamaha cart I have a real soft spot for the 88 Marathons, bulletproof carts when maintained, maybe not the *best* offroad handling but a decent ride, and definitely easy and cheap to maintain and repair. Bang-for-the-buck You'd be hard-pressed to find a better entry-level cart !!!

What parts do You need, BTW - I always hang onto the hard-to-find stuff from 88's when I come across them, might be able to help You out !
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Just so noone thinks someone snuck out in the middle of the night and turned both our engines the wrong way, LOL - here's a pic of the engine bay on my old 88 post engine-rebuild but prior to the actual CART cleanup and rebuild:

Old 03-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
mclaughlinle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

What parts do You need, BTW - I always hang onto the hard-to-find stuff from 88's when I come across them, might be able to help You out ![/QUOTE]

I really need the grab bars/arm rests....
Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #17
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

if you have good rockers (the stainless angle pieces that go over the edges of the mat and the kick panels on the cart) I have a set of grab bars off an 87 that could easily be cut to fit ... Let me dig them out and I'll PM pics
Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #18
mclaughlinle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

OK that sounds great! Thanks :)
Old 03-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Yup,I was way off yesterday.I was sick as a dog,and got my years all messed up.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #20
wide'iwas
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I was thinking the same thing !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
I believe it's an 88 - still had the same engine orientation as the 80-87, has the cowl as pictured, and has the louvers stamped into the right hand side of the firewall under the seat ... The cincher for me is the muffler - by the looks of where the pipe goes into the can as well as the brackets, it's definitely 88 ....

NOW - what parts do You need, because a lot of the stuff for 1988 was specific to that year ONLY (nothing else will fit) ?!? If it were me, I'd feel better doing a full confirmation on the year before You start ordering anything just to be safe (there's also a plate with the model and serial under the starter/generator on the engine heat shield if the one on your cowl is missing)

Your call - definitely worth being sure before You spend a bunch of money and have to start over
wide'iwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO