lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
zlangdon
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Solenoid bad?

Ok so my cart just quit out of nowhere the other day. Its like the battery is dead nothing happens when you step on the pedal. But the solenoid was making weird clicking noises right when this happend. Checked the battery it has 12.37 volts. Jumped past that to the starter and the starter turns over. So I figured its gotta be the solenoid. Took the solenoid out and brought it to a shop they tested it and said its fine. So I hook everything back up and nothing again. I jumped across the solenoid from large post to large post and the starter will turn over. Do any of you out there still think this could still be the solenoid? Or could it be something else? Any help is appreciated im pulling my hair out at this point
zlangdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: Solenoid bad?

Did they test the solenoid under a load, or just check resistance?
Also could be the pedal switch.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The switch on the pedal may be bad or unhooked.Check for power in and out of that switch,and see if you are getting power to one of the small terminals on the solenoid when you press the pedal.It could also be a bad ground(the other small wire on the solenoid is a ground).The key-switch sends power to the pedal-switch,that wire is usually fused,check the fuse as well.You didn't specify what model cart you have,but I've seen bad contacts in the F/R switch give a no-start condition as well on 2-stroke Marathons(the solienoid clicks,but no starter-activation).Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
zlangdon
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Ive tried checking the micro switch but the problem is the wire running from the solenoid to the micro switch is on the side of the solenoid that has to power through it? If I hook that wire directly to battery should the micro switch show full voltage when opened and absolutely zero voltage when closed? The only fuse I see if the fuse on the wire for the reverse alarm which I just popped when I jumpered the solenoid. The ground wire from the solenoid should be okay as ive had this solenoid on and off at least 4 times.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
zlangdon
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Last week I forgot my cart key and just stuck a peice of metal I had between the terminals of the ignition switch, this wouldnt have done any harm would it have? I used it since then and it was fine until this all of the sudden happend.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
zlangdon
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

they hooked it up and put a load on it and it clicked and the light on the testing machine lit up like it was supposed too. But everytime I hook it up in my cart there is absolutely nothing happening. I know it cant be the battery as I hooked my cart to my car battery and still nothing.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The ground wire to the solenoid could have a bad-spot or not be grounding at all.Take a test-lite,connect the clip to Batt +,and touch the probe to the ground-term on the solenoid,it should lite up if the circuit is good.If not,check that wire and ground connections at the frame-ground and battery.Jumping the switch won't hurt anything,unless you shorted it to metal at the same time.The wire from the battery,to the key,thru the key to the pedal-switch,to the solenoid should all have voltage once the pedal is pressed with the key on.The fuse should be on the key/pedal circuit,not reverse if I remember correctly.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #8
zlangdon
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

well i went out and hooked everything back up and it all of the suddent started working again. I just hope its not like a bad connection or short of some sort as I dont want this to happen again. But at least it works for now. Thanks for all the help its greatly appreciated!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

For the price, pick up a Continuous Duty solenoid for a snowplow or liftgate and install it,keep your existing one as a spare.It saves a breakdown later.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO