lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Lowering a DS top

Bought this cart to make into a hunting cart. Came with an aluminum lightweight cage rack that you see on top of jeeps. For noise concerns and getting the cart into my garage without unloading off its trailer I wasn't going to use the top or rack. After much debate, I may "chop" the top and use the rack for very lightweight items. I need to reinstall the top and measure how much I can lower. What's the best way to cut and reinforce the factory roof tube supports?
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lowering a DS top

On the Yamaha,they are square-tube,like alot of carts.I use solid square stock,cut the uprights a few inches below the bends near the roof,remove roof,flip upside-down.slide a 6" piece inside the top rails about 3",drill and bolt,i use 1/4" Stainless hardware.Then drop the top back on,drill and bolt the lower section together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170121_135707841.jpg (46.1 KB, 0 views)
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looking at my DS I may have to sleeve over my tubing as it's only about 1 inch square. I know tall guys would require more headroom than others but I can't understand why the tops are so high. I assume all cart brands have similar top heights to meet a standard. How much can I expect to lower just for an idea? Thanks!
Old 01-23-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would get on and off the cart as you would normally while someone watches to see how close your noggin gets to the top. Or you could bolt the sleeves on the bottom supports and start trimming the tops of them until the canopy removes your cap or tuque.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The Yamaha posts are also 1" tube,so the 1/2" stock may work.Look at the end of a tube,measure the opening.I dropped my top 3" to clear the overhead bunk in our Toy-Hauler.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:46 PM   #6
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
I would get on and off the cart as you would normally while someone watches to see how close your noggin gets to the top. Or you could bolt the sleeves on the bottom supports and start trimming the tops of them until the canopy removes your cap or tuque.
LOL, I'm still figuring out how a big guy gets in and out of this cart without getting high centered on that lovely hip bar. I find myself favoring getting in and out from the passenger side. Now picture a low roof and the guys at the hunting club would be falling out of their chairs.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:17 AM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Alot of it depends on your size,Im 5'9",200lbs,so it isnt an issue.Someone taller,heavier,maybe it will be an issue.It is only 3" in my case,I could have dropped it a bit under 2",but I figured if I changed tire size,or didnt strap it tight,it still wont hit at 3" drop.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:53 PM   #8
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

I will just have to remount the top and do some measuring while in the driving position. I'm not too concerned about getting in or out, I'll figure that out soon enough after I bang my head a few times. For me its about being as stealth as possible and better accessibility to the rack with a 6 inch lift. Also, I think a chopped top would be unique and look pretty cool too. I hope it works out. Thanks for the comments and ideas.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #9
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

http://www.xt-innovations.com/roofhi...oof_hinge.html
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Thats slick,I remember hearing about it,but never saw them.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car