lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
t20pat
Not Yet Wild

Default Charging Problem

About 18 months ago we purchased a 2008 Club Car Precedent 48 volt golf cart. A couple of days ago I noticed the golf cart was losing power at top speed especially with two people in the golf cart. I checked the batteries and the fluid levels were below the plates (Ouch! my bad). I read your post on battery maintenance and purchased distilled water and filled all the batteries to the proper levels and recharged the golf cart. After the charging was complete I checked the voltages on each battery and three of the batteries measured between 12.85 and 12.89 volts and one battery measured 12.74 volts. I then used a hydrometer to check each battery cell. All batteries checked excellent except for the one battery that measured 12.74 volts. That particular battery measured “Fair” with a gravity rating of between 1210 and 1220 in all cells. All the other batteries cell’s gravity ratings were “Good” above 1300. My question is should I replace this battery and if so can I replace just one battery in the group or is it best practice to replace all batteries at the same time? I’m not sure how old any of these batteries are.
t20pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
flkeysdude359
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Charging Problem

To start, check the "Everything to do with Batteries" sticky at the top of the page. Depending on the brand of battery, the battery post can be stamped with the date. An example would be: A4, which would indicate: A=January, 4=2014. Most members would recommend all batteries be replaced at the same time. Hope this helps...!!! ;o)
flkeysdude359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Time for new set
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That's too bad you do not know the year of the batteries. It would probably help if you were able to load test the pack or discharge test them too But honestly if one battery seems a little weaker but still ok I would not replace the entire set. Wish you could find out the age of them though. Where I work we only replace 1 or 2 at most in a pack, if any more are bad we replace the whole set. Your dealing with a 12 volt system so being that you only have 4 batteries maybe it is an option to start fresh with a new set
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Wait the brand of batteries.?

How low on water were they?
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
t20pat
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the responses. I’m going to do a little more inspection to try and determine the age of each battery. To answer “Golferdave” they are Trojan Batteries and the water was below the plates. I did read the “Everything to do with Batteries” sticky. That is what actually prompted me to check the batteries in the first place. Great document! I charged the cart overnight and about to recheck the batteries again. I'll let everyone know what I find.
Thanks,

Last edited by t20pat; 01-26-2017 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: Gramatical error
Old 01-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #7
t20pat
Not Yet Wild

I rechecked the batteries again and had the same results. I did find the dates on the batteries. The dates on all the batteries were the same - 10/15/14 we purchased the cart in April of 2015. The batteries are not quite 3 years old.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car