lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #21
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2011 RXV Navitas controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
If you shop around, you can find what you are after for less than the cost of the Navitas.
Not in Canada that is for sure. :(

No one has been able to outline the performance difference between the two controllers.

It's like buying video cards for PCs. You can spend hundreds (or even thousands) more for 5-10% performance increases but, is it worth it?

Quote:
The Curtis current ratings are true RMS, Navitas not so much.
Are you referencing "root means square" (RMS)? Does Curtis publish their formula?

Quote:
The limitations in the Curtis controllers are programmed in, while the Navitas is hardware limited.
Well, there is a hardware limit for the Curtis controller as well. The upper limit of what the hardware can do is higher than Navitas'. (I believe its 120 amps larger capacity than the Navitas?)

Quote:
The Curtis controllers are programmed to max out at about 70% of their capacity. Once that is corrected in the programming, even the stock Curtis 235 Amp Curtis can outperform the Navitas for the RXV. We have tuned stock Curtis controllers to do wheelies with a full bank of lead acid batteries! Can a Navitas do that?
Again, what is the real performance difference? That is what I am trying to figure out before I do anything to my 2008RXV with the dead Danaher controller. If we are only talking about 10-15% increase in performance.... Not really too concerned. But, if we are talking about at 50% performance increase... ok... you have my ear.

I have seen a TAC2 600amp Navitas controller with their 5kw AC Motor do it on a TXT w/ a full bank of lead acid batteries. Now, the RXV motor is 3.3kw. So, it could be the motor that allowed the TXT to wheely?

Quote:
If you really want performance, the maximum capacity of the 350 Amp Curtis RXV upgrade controller is nearly double the maximum capacity of the Navitas for the RXV. And the price comparison? The RXV Curtis option is a lot more affordable.
How is "nearly double" calculated? (I am a nerd so I am curious.) I have a quote for a Navitas TAC2 that is nearly half what the 350Amp Curtis conversion controller is.

https://shop.txtsv.com/speed-control...-12v-batteries

$1,787.68 USD... vs $900-ish

Not that I am trying to be an arse here. I am really actually very interested. I have a 2008 RXV with a toasted Danaher controller I got for 250$ that I am building as a hobby project. As a hobby though spending an additional 900$ USD (or 1 billion Canadian dollars!) is a big jump. For what performance increase?

Cheers,
Impaled
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #22
Lees23
Getting Wild

I have basically ruled out a Curtis controller because finding a near plug and play conversion is next to impossible to find or extremely expensive.

I am considering selling my 2011 for a 2016($4800 2018 batteries, rear seat, wheels and nice tires).
Lees23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:30 PM   #23
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees23 View Post
I have basically ruled out a Curtis controller because finding a near plug and play conversion is next to impossible to find or extremely expensive.

I am considering selling my 2011 for a 2016($4800 2018 batteries, rear seat, wheels and nice tires).
Didn't I post an eBay link to a Curtis controller for $495 US + $15.25 US shipping? And there is a thread that I posted that shows the procedure and parts sources to convert your existing Danaher harness to work for the Curtis controller..

Controller https://www.ebay.com/itm/152355026624

Harness Conversion... http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ocumented.html

As for how Curtis calculates their ratings, they use RMS. The Curtis controller is rated for 35 Amps per phase more than the Navitas. Take that for what it is worth. It doesn't matter to me which way you choose to upgrade. I even have a Freedom Mode enabled Danaher here collecting dust. LOL

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #24
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I even have a Freedom Mode enabled Danaher here collecting dust.
There is a good reason it is collecting dust. If you know VCL as well as you do... No reason to ever use that grey box of doom. :)
Old 06-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #25
Lees23
Getting Wild

Quote:
Didn't I post an eBay link to a Curtis controller for $495 US + $15.25 US shipping? And there is a thread that I posted that shows the procedure and parts sources to convert your existing Danaher harness to work for the Curtis controller..

Controller https://www.ebay.com/itm/152355026624

Harness Conversion... http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ocumented.html

As for how Curtis calculates their ratings, they use RMS. The Curtis controller is rated for 35 Amps per phase more than the Navitas. Take that for what it is worth. It doesn't matter to me which way you choose to upgrade. I even have a Freedom Mode enabled Danaher here collecting dust. LOL

Bob
If it’s not a plug and play harness, I am not messing with it. I talked to local respected dealer about a conversion and he said they did it once and won’t do it again.

Probably just sell the cart and buy the ‘16.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #26
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees23 View Post
Probably just sell the cart and buy the ‘16.
You will still need to reprogram the controller in the new RXV as well to get the full performance out of it. So, it may get you a new cart but, one that is operating at stock capability. As far as I can tell the only person that can properly program the controller is Bob. Especially if your local dealer struggled with the Danahar to Curtis conversion and has only done one.

Trading up will get you a stock working cart.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:05 AM   #27
Lees23
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imapled View Post
You will still need to reprogram the controller in the new RXV as well to get the full performance out of it. So, it may get you a new cart but, one that is operating at stock capability. As far as I can tell the only person that can properly program the controller is Bob. Especially if your local dealer struggled with the Danahar to Curtis conversion and has only done one.

Trading up will get you a stock working cart.
I am okay with that. As long as it’s programmed to Freedom mode (which I believe it is, I’ll be happy. I am going to look at it tonight and will drive it. I am more concerned about reliability than speed. The cart is just used in a condo complex and as long as it can get us up the hill to our place and run reliably then I am happy.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:11 PM   #28
Monstermaker
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

The biggest problem with the Curtis controller is only Bob can do the programming.
Who cares if its a superior unit if we can't access it?
The Navitas outperforms a stock Curtis, what other option do most of us have?
Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO