lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
jvanick
Not Yet Wild

Default restistor cart -- solenoid shorted closed

Newbie here... and just trying to understand how the wiring works...

I've got an old 89 Marathon that's got a solenoid that's shorted in the closed position...

This cart is definitely a bit of a basket case, but I do have it running at the moment. FnR works just fine and it does drive. Of course the key switch doesn't work, nor the backup buzzer (which doesn't even exist anymore LOL).

I'm wondering if I really need to replace the solenoid or not...

I assume that when the FNR is in F or R even if the acc pedal isn't pushed down that it's still sending power to the field or armature leads, which means that it's draining the batteries even when it's not moving... to make it stop the drain I put it in neutral.

Is this a fair assumption?

also, there's no resistors or caps or anything attached to the solenoid which seems like people are talking about here...

I've got a a lot of electrical experience (I wire -48v DC gear in a telco facility), just not much in the cart world of things...

the wiring diagrams don't show anything, but I'd rather not blow up a new solenoid if I replace it.

Thanks in advance!
-J
jvanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: restistor cart -- solenoid shorted closed

You should replace the solenoid. Otherwise the cart "could" get in to a runaway issue. No need for resistor or diode on resistor controlled carts. They are used on controller carts to protect the DC motor controller.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO