lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default Re: buy a new cart for more $ or an older one cheaper?

My 2 cents, if you are a noob and not necessarily a tinkerer - don't worry so much about older or newer, rather something that runs. Even if it needs new batteries, I'd rather get something that is in running condition than something that ran 5 years ago and has been sitting in the elements ever since. Put any thought of using the old batteries out of your mind. Even if they had been maintained, they'd probably need replacing, much less been sitting with no maintenance for 5 years. Vehicles like to be driven, at least periodically. Never good to sit for long periods of time, let alone sit in the elements for years. If it's cheap and you like to tinker and you don't mind chasing one problem after another, go for it. But go into it expecting that. Otherwise, if your budget will allow it, get something newer that is in running condition. Prices vary by region, but I can find 5 - 6 year old carts around here, all day long, for under 2 grand. I don't mind tinkering but I prefer to do it along the lines of mods to a running cart instead of chasing problems trying to keep it running.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athello View Post
I'm not positive if it's 36 or 48. I know the serial starts "A9726" so a 1997, week 26.
seral number does not seem right for a Regen
A= DS Electric Golf Car
AA= DS Electric Golf Car, 48 Volt System
AB= DS Electric Golf Car, 36 Volt System
AC= DS Electric Golf Car, 48 Volt Regen
AQ= Electric I.Q. Golf Car, 48 Volt Regen

Old 04-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
Athello
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

@Salt life - Your train of thought was much like I'd been thinking. I've spent plenty of wrench time on cars, so I know first hand that things like to be driven. (I've replaced so many old, rotten rubber brake lines on Chevy trucks I could probably do them blindfolded now), and that was a big concern of mine in buying an older cart that's been sitting. I have a 1 year old son now, so my tinkering time has been sharply reduced! I'm probably more inclined to pay a little bit more if it's a decent cart and I don't have to chase one gremlin after another. Besides, if I did that, the wife would probably shoot me, as I have been convincing her that a cart is a good idea for a while now.

@ CTD - I'm almost positive that the serial was A9726 - XXXXX, but it doesn't have the F-n-R switch, definitely has the smaller rocker switch. I'll have to take a closer look at it now that you've brought it to my attention.
Athello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Our 97 is a good cart, would I not buy another 97 no but like the 95 better.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
crash test dummy

ok ... quick way to tell if 36v or 48 v
count the water caps on battery
3 caps = 6v x 6 batteries = 36v
4 caps = 8v x 6 batteries = 48v
4 batteries = 48v (4 x 12v)
Old 04-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #16
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

97 regen was only a 48v
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Dude View Post
Our 97 is a good cart, would I not buy another 97 no but like the 95 better.
To be clear, I'm not dis'in the 97's. It could be an 07 and I'd still be scared of it if it has been sitting in the weather for 5 years and never driven.

Athello, my cart cost me just a hair over 2k 2.5 years ago, and the only reason it was that much was because it already had a brand new back seat on it. I did everything else (lights, stereo, lift kit, wheels/tires, steering wheel, etc.) myself. But I was able to get a couple of years out of the batteries before I had to replace them. I know how it is with young kids - not only is the free time tighter, so is the wallet. Even if you get the cart for 2 or 3 hundred dollars, you are already looking down the barrel of another 7 or 800 dollar bill for new batteries right off the bat. That's a grand before you even get into the "what you don't knows". It's a risk that could pay off or could make you wish you had done something different. Good luck, whichever way you go.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #18
Athello
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Salt life - you have a very nice cart, indeed. I'd love to find a deal like that, especially as a back seat is a given on the cart I need. I can definitely see the point about being halfway to the price of a newer cart already. I'll probably keep my eyes open for one. I found a 2005 with batteries from 2010 or 2011 (can't remember which) for around 2k, OBO. I figure if I can get him to come down a couple of hundred, that will put a little bit more cash towards my back seat.
Athello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #19
crash test dummy

back seat $275
heavy duty rear spring kit $125
Old 04-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #20
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Yeh I didn't get a deal. The guy I bought it from buys a half dozen or so golf course retirees at a time and sells them for about that price all day long. He will fix them up any way you want them but I wanted to do it myself. If he hadn't been 3/4 way thru installing the rear seat when I stopped by and bought the cart, I would have done that myself as well.

Prices shouldn't be that far off in your area, but spring time is probably harder to find a real deal.

The HD spring kit may be optional. Some find they need it, I didn't. If you plan to lid the cart, you may find a package that includes the lift kit and the springs. I am glad I didn't need them because they ride stiffer.

Tags
club car, for sale
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car