lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
mmvanv
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Coil over shocks

I've searched around on this topic and can't seem to find any definitive answers. Obviously there are some expensive kits out there, but my question is simple:

Have any of you guys bought shocks by length to use on your cart?

I took into account the measurements and bought some Monroe 58539 here

justsuspension.com/vaf/product/list/?page_id=18&category=%3F&year=54&make=1225&model=8 395

I did read somewhere that someone used these on a 7" lifted cart, so I figured I'd try em. The measurements are not exact... I believe stock is 13" closed and 17" open. Seems like 14" closed and 17" open was in there too. Either way if I were going to replace with stock I would buy a set of 4 13" - 17". The new shocks will be 10.625 closed and 17.875 open.

I've seen guys using quad shocks as well, but these allow for the use of the oem stud mounts. Hopefully someone else has tried these, and they worked lol! Please share thoughts and/or opinions. Thanks.

Btw, this is for an 05 ezgo txt pds. Has a 6" Jakes spindle lift, 23" tires and a flip flop... suspension is in need of help. I'm not old but the prospect of super stiff HD springs is a last resort, I say that cause I know someone will suggest it. I'm not opposed to the springs, but the "weight bearing" is not as important to me as a smooth ride!

Last edited by mmvanv; 06-03-2013 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: Add cart description
mmvanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Coil over shocks

Welcome to BGW

Don't have an answer about the shocks but,

I was reading you Introduction and see you lifted your cart and put 23" tires on a PDS cart, the stock controller will not like those tires and will not last long before it burns up, so if i was you, the first thing i would be getting is an after market controller, and sell your stock controller before you burn it up and it's not going to bring you any money
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
mmvanv
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ordered the controller kit #909 I believe it was from Scottyb this morning! Hopefully have it on by Thursday. Can't wait to rip the beeper out either! Didn't want to cause of the diagnostics, but apparently the alltrax doesn't need it. If I can get rid of the bone jarring, it should be a nice ride!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
rib33024

Smart move on the #909, let some air out of the tires for a softer ride, what pressure are you running them at?,
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
mmvanv
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Honestly I haven't checked. I would guess 11 or 12 by the look of em. The suspension concern started with the 2" of lift I get when I take off. Regardless of how easy I go on the pedal, someone is spilling their drink. I know the rear bushings on the springs are blown out too. I will definitely check the air though. I usually go 6 - 8 on my quad. I'll try that and see if it helps. I have some rattle going on too. The steering wheel center, and the roof into new seat mount. I'm sure the noise removal would make it at least seem smoother lol.

Thank you for the welcome btw, and the suggestions!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
Springlake
I Believe !!

E-Z-GO

During my build I ran into shock length issues and long story short I ended up ordering shock extensions from Summit.

Welcome to the FUN!! Post pictures when you can
M
Springlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I wanted coil overs when I upgraded my suspension. I went to all local atv shops thinking it would be easy with no luck. I ended up calling Monroe shocks and gave them my measurements for my cart switching back to the original mounting locations instead of the aftermarket relocation bracket that came with the lift kit. I have been real happy with the upgraded shocks and even showed the local cart store owner and he has ordered the same shocks for his personal cart.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
mmvanv
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerj7907 View Post
I wanted coil overs when I upgraded my suspension. I went to all local atv shops thinking it would be easy with no luck. I ended up calling Monroe shocks and gave them my measurements for my cart switching back to the original mounting locations instead of the aftermarket relocation bracket that came with the lift kit. I have been real happy with the upgraded shocks and even showed the local cart store owner and he has ordered the same shocks for his personal cart.
What lift do you have? I'm wondering if you mean you removed the top plate and went with a 6" longer shock? What shocks are you running? I used the .pdf charts found in the stickies to search for the lengths. I finally figured out the shocks I bought are the rears for a 1960 Mercury Comet lol. Made finding the best price easier. In that info I found the shocks work best in conjunction with leaf springs and about 1200 lbs. which I'm guessing weight of cart with 4 adults is probably pretty darn close to the 1200.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I did not remove the top plate as it locates the U-bolts. I did however switch the plates to opposite sides and flipped them over so the brackets are out of the way for the new shocks. The brackets for the shock mount are now in front of the axle and pointed down in other words. In case I was unhappy I did not want to ruin the bracket. I have the Jakes 6" lift. Yes they are 6" longer than the stock shock to make up for the lift. They are Monroe #37200ST You can see in the picture that it is an easy fit on the RXV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-04-07_17-22-33_629.jpg (58.4 KB, 0 views)
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
mmvanv
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well I got the rear done, sorry no pics. The Monroe 58539ST (sensa-trac) load adjusting coil over shocks fit but it was a 2 man job. We dropped the rear shackles and got them in there. So far I am pleased with the ride. I'm about 190 lbs and the cart only drops 3/4" with me sitting on the rear seat. The company I ordered the shocks from only sent 1 pair so I'm waiting on the second set. I will see if I can get some pics up soon.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO