lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
gsyqggm
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 EZGO TXT 36v

ok, After charging I let it sit for about 12 Hours and had a pack voltage of 38.4 V. Went up and down the street twice and it starting dying. What I did notice is that when it was dying Id press the pedal and I felt the motor spinning and there was a vibration on the cart. Voltage after this was 37.8... Thanks again
gsyqggm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like the splines are stripped in the rear hubs.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
gsyqggm
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Dont mean to sound clueless but what are splines? Is it expensive to fix? it did the same thing yesterday as far as run for a little and die. Is that normal with bad splines
gsyqggm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The outer circumference of the axle shafts have ridges or teeth that fit into matching ridges or teeth on the inner circumference of the hole in the center of the rear hub (brake drum). The wheel and tire assembly is attached to the hub and when torque (twisting motion) is applied, the splines are supposed to prevent the axle from spinning without turning the hub with the wheel & tire attached.

You said: "What I did notice is that when it was dying Id press the pedal and I felt the motor spinning and there was a vibration on the cart."
An electric golf cart is a direct drive system, so if the motor turns, one of the rear wheels has to turn. If the motor is spinning and neither of rear tires is moving, something is slipping that shouldn't be slipping. For an EZGO cart, the splines in one of the rear hubs are the first to strip. (There are other sets of spline type couplings in the drive train that can fail also.)

-----------
Remove all hubcaps and dust covers on the rear wheels so you can see the castle nuts that hold the hubs onto the axle.

Have people watch the castle nuts and while the brake pedal is being pushed, briefly press the throttle. If either castle nut turns without the wheel turning, the hub splines are stripped. (Might also be the axle splines, but it is usually the hub splines)

Do not press throttle for very long when doing this test. The motor is stalled and will draw every amp the battery pack can produce, so the motor and/or controller will burn out if the pedal is pressed for much more than a second or two.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO