lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default RHOX 7" A-Arm Lift...what needs changed to use on 1999 TXT?

I am looking at lifting my 1999 TXT, looking for a long travel double A-Arm lift, and finding long lead time for Jake's. I did find that RHOX 7" A-Arm lift appears to be available, but information indicates it only fits EZGO TXT models 2001.5 to 2008.5. What changed between the 1999 model and the 2001.5 model of the TXT that prevents this lift from fitting? Is it something that can be modified on the cart to make it work without too much trouble?
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2020, 12:33 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RHOX 7" A-Arm Lift...what needs changed to use on 1999 TXT?

The axle and steering was changed. With a bit of thought and fabrication you should be able to make it work for you.

the front axle on the later models have a steering rack on the folded steel axle and the earlier model had a steering box on the frame with drag link to operate the track rods.

From what i can see, the kit comes complete with a new steering rack, so all you should need is the later type steering column retrofitted to the frame. You have a three bolt type with a steering box. You will need the four bolt type. should be able to find a used one fairly easily, then you may have to make an adaptor plate to bolt it to the frame as your current one bolts directly to the steering box and has a different drive to the later type. You may be able to adapt it to work with the kit supplied steering extension therefore not needing a later style column.

I am sure someone will be along shortly to verify if i am correct or pick up on something i have missed. Also, if you have a brekers yard for carts locally you may find a rusted out frame to cut the plate from and weld it into your your frame. that part rarely gets rusty.

You can clearly see the difference between your frame and the later type in the video below at approximately 9 minutes in. Yours will not have the plate that the column bolts to and this is what you will need to change along with the later column, or adapted three bolt column. everything else should be the same. The springs on the later type were shorter than the earlier ones, but that make no difference as you will be discarding those anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yap-13GMrb4

The only other thing to consider is the rear lift may be specific for electric or gas. make sure it is correct for your cart, although there are ways around this too.

If you have a cart scrap yard or dealer near you you may find a rusted out frame that you can take that plate from to weld into yours making the job even simpler.

I am sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if i am missing something. Its been a while since i worked on EZGO's
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks Cart...that video is perfect...you can stop it right where you said and see the end of the steering column. All I need to do now is pull my 1999 apart at the steering column and figure out what I need to make it fit...might be less than we think, but I am usually not that lucky. Finding a 2001.5 and newer steering column might be the answer, welding in some supports at the firewall for it. Might be the way to go.

Anyone ever go this route? Any pitfalls that aren't obvious?
Old 07-28-2020, 12:39 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Let us know if you manage to do it. It may be useful for others to see what can be done with a little imagination.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ordered the Jake's LT kit...going to have to wait it out. The ROHX folks responded to me, apparently the spindled are different, as is the connection at the steering column. Problem is, I don't know what about the spindles are different...I suspect its the connection to the tie rods, but can't be sure. If i had access to both carts so I could see/measure/confirm what work would be necessary, I would have gone that way, but If I end up having to buy steering column, fab in supports for it, then buy spindles, or modify them, particularly if I have to pay someone to modify them, etc., the cost gets prohibitive. Too many unknowns.

This brings up the next question...how much tire can I fit under the Jake's long travel? I understand it is adjustable...how is the rear adjustable? Just axle blocks, isn't it?
Old 07-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I completely forgot about the spindles. The later type and king pins are shorter by about 1/2 inch, but I thought those lift kits came with new spindles anyway so should not make a difference.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #7
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

On the EZGO Gas 1994-2001.5 Jake's LT lift kit, I don't see an image of spindles included in the kit. I am guessing the existing spindles will be re-used. I couldn't tell if it was spindle mounting bolt diameters, lengths, overall spindle lengths, steering attachment points, etc. That was the point of the original post...I wanted to know what those differences were. I would bet that to make the ROHX system work on an older cart, I would have to replace the steering column, make a mounting bracket, replace the steering rack, tie rods, and spindles. I don't have a source for these parts except new old stock through EZGO dealers, or aftermarket sources with new parts...and looking at those costs, it would add several hundred more $ to make it work, and likely would have required a delay as well. Just decided it would be easier to wait the few extra weeks for the Jake's kit.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:15 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

No worries. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #9
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

For future users, I'll update this with a few photos and notes. Since Jake's was unable to provide any idea when their lift would go into production...I decided on the RHOX 7" lift, and associated mods to the cart. So far, my understanding of the differences include:
-4-bolt steering column and shaft
-The front section of frame has a 4-bolt threaded plate to receive the steering column, and heavier duty vertical supports in the middle of the frame. They are in different locations as well.
20201115_155637.jpg20201115_155700.jpg
-The RHOX lift uses the shock mount holes at the upper support, they are in different location from the 3-bolt shock mount holes.
-The 4-bolt machine has different hubs/spindles.
-different steering rack relocated from under the frame mount to on the axle.
-The 4-bolt axle is C-Channel while the original axle is box steel.
Since the RHOX lift comes with spindles and the steering rack, just need the hubs.

I am doing mine a bit different than others...I am cutting out the entire front section of the frame, minus the outer most frame rails and welding in the front frame section from the 4-bolt donor frame. The reason is that I want to re-use my 6" Steeleng drop axle lift on my 4-bolt workhorse, so will need that front frame section for the steering rack support. There is a section of that support that is in the way of the RHOX lift upper support that needs to be cut out if you aren't reusing that frame section on another machine. Since I am, it was easier to just leave the whole thing intact on the front frame section.

I got the frame section out of the 3-bolt TXT and out of the donor 4-bolt frame, and welded the 4-bolt front section into the TXT. Pretty happy with it. I'm no welder, but I am not concerned at all with the strength of the welds...just aren't pretty. Held the lift up against the new frame section and everything appears to line up perfect. Still need to do a little more support work clean up the frame and paint the sections I worked on, then its lift install time.
20201115_175824.jpg
Old 11-16-2020, 01:44 AM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Brilliant. I knew you would figure it out. Looks like a job well done. I like the way you are thinking and solving things.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts