lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2018, 02:47 AM   #1
rockinr382
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: England.live in a small Hamlet(village) poulation28
Default Leaning cart

I have changed all front and rear springs and shockers on my cart but cart is still
Leaning on the left hand side when turning to the left on uneven ground the cart bottoms as if there is no suspension at the front, could this be caused by a bent front axle, and how can you check it for true measurement? Rockinr382
rockinr382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2018, 01:22 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Leaning cart

If you go back over my PM's from previously, it is all explained in detail how to check your spring alignment etc. Did you follow my instructions regarding checking the frame for twists and bends?

If you have not worked through the detailed checks, then we are just guessing.

If you did, you did not bother getting back to me, so you need to tell me what you found.

If you bought cheap front springs, suspect those first and buy OEM genuine parts instead.
Cartmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:36 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Luckily, i archive all my PM's, so here is a copy of my last communication to you. You never replied so i assumed you had solved the problem.

Quote:
Ok, So let me get this right before making suggestions. Do you have new springs all round and new shocks all round? although shocks will not affect ride height. If new springs all round and they are the correct ones, then ride height should be equal on all four corners. If not, then the issue can only be in the frame itself. When installing new front springs ( if you did) then you should have the vehicle supported by jack stands, one each side of the frame (preferably, four, one on each corner). after removing the front axle, remove the floor mat and remove the six bolts and triangular holding plates to allow the springs removal. on reassembly with the new springs, you reverse this procedure and then measure diagonally from the rear centre bolt to the hole in the front of the spring on the other side With the axle loosely fitted. do this for both springs and adjust the side ways angle of the springs until both diagonal measurements are equal. then you clamp all the bolts up tight. Once this is done you then measure from the ground up to the front of both springs and make sure both measurements are the same. (assuming the chassis is actually level). If not, then the part of the chassis that the spring is held to by the triangular plates is not true. If left this way, one side of the front of the cart will appear to be low and the opposite side rear will appear higher than the other. next, when you install the rear springs, you fit them first to the front spring location, then to the axle assembly and finally, jack up the axle until the holes line up for the rear spring hangers and install the bolts. If, when you remove the jack, the spring hangers are at different angles when the cart is back on level ground, then either the springs are different unsprung lengths ( but you would have checked that they are the same before installing ) or the chassis is not true. This will also give you a cart that is leaning over diagonally front to back or maybe just leaning to one side.

What i have written here is from many years experience, not just text book. i have mainly found the issue to be with the rear of the cart being out of true from a bump into a wall or something. very rarely have i seen the front of the frame bent and affecting the front springs.

to check frame alignment at the rear, just take a measurement on each side from the front spring mount hole centre to the rear spring mount hole centre. If these are not identical, you have a bent frame. If this is what you find, the shorter measurement is incorrect and the rear of the frame arch needs moving out to match the longer measurement on the other side. I do not have the correct measurement to hand, but as long as they are equal and everything i have previously stated is correct then the cart MUST sit true.

Without seeing the cart in person, i cannot advise any further. So, as long as your measurements and checks are done correctly, you should find where the problem lies and know what to do to correct it. If you do after all find it is the rear frame bent, then a jack and short length of timber between the spring mounting points will push the frame back to where it should be. Unless you know someone with a "porta power" body ram to help you. This bending back to true should be done very carefully and not go too far.

Remember. The shocks will NOT affect ride height. If you want to, take all the shocks off while doing all the checks as they are irrelevant to your problem.

When i do these checks, i have the cart on the bench and all four corners of the cart are on stands. This way knowing my bench is 100% square and true, i know my checks and measurements are also true. This may not be possible for you to do but a flat level floor and four stands are a good alternative.
If anyone else wishes to chime in and add or correct my words, feel free to do so.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:12 AM   #4
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

An axle bent so slightly to need a "true measurement" wouldn't cause the problem. If the front suspension is bottoming on small bumps with new springs there is something more going on, as cartmaster has suggested.

Can you post some pics of the undercarriage? Where the front springs mount to the frame?
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:57 AM   #5
rockinr382
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Re: Leaning cart

I have carried out all the checks and dimension measurements as per your message, all true as correct, all springs genuine from Jacobsons in the States, with correct numbers stamped on, the axle is bent on the passenger side, to solve the bottoming I have fitted heavy duty front springs now and that has stopped the problem temporarily. Will strip axle off in winter and either repair it or fit a new one, thanks for all the replies, great information as always,
Rockinr382
Old 05-09-2018, 06:09 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

No worries, you do know you can buy from jacobsen dealers in the UK?
Old 05-11-2018, 02:05 AM   #7
rockinr382
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I buy from LANMOWER SERVICES IN LINCOLNSHIRE they are agents for Jacobsons in the Uk, the only ones I know, is there another agent? rockinr382

Tags
ezgo txt 1996
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO