lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #1
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 4 link vs. Radius arms and Panhard bar

Thoughts on performance and function with a 4 link vs simpler radius arms and track bar?

Seems like the radius arm setup will be simpler and require less parts. Any reason the 4 link is worth the extra cost and time?
Left Coast Kiteboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 4 link vs. Radius arms and Panhard bar

What cart are we talking about? In general a 4 link is IMO the best style of rear suspension system, provided the geometry is correct and the spring rates are correct. On a golf cart it's all fabrication and trial and error.

With that said, some carts a 4 link is not possible, or is very difficult to do. Most gas carts the short links will interfere with the drive belt location. Electric carts seem to have much more room.

On my G1 with G2 rear and swing arm, I cannot fit a 4 link. So the plan is to have a "3 link".

You might enjoy my thread on this subject...

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=153805
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:01 AM   #3
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

2001 CC DS Electric
Old 07-26-2020, 10:31 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you have the room the 4 link is superior IMO.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #5
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

I guess it's not really all that much harder. Gonna pull the body off next week and have a look.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:24 PM   #6
oldphart
Getting Wild

Club Car

You're not building a drag car or a a corner-carver. Radius arms and a track bar (or a Watts linkage if you're really crazed) is a helluva' lot simpler and will serve your purpose just fine. Cut spring leaves off behind the axle, use them for control arms, add coil-over shocks and a panhard bar. Just like a 40-year old late model circle-burner. Been there.
Jim
oldphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:16 AM   #7
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphart View Post
You're not building a drag car or a a corner-carver. Radius arms and a track bar (or a Watts linkage if you're really crazed) is a helluva' lot simpler and will serve your purpose just fine. Cut spring leaves off behind the axle, use them for control arms, add coil-over shocks and a panhard bar. Just like a 40-year old late model circle-burner. Been there.
Jim
Nope. Just want a nicer ride. Simple is good.

Got the buggy stripped down to the frame. Gonna really look at it this week.

Also trying to figure out shocks. I need about 15 inches at ride height. I found springs from the Honda Foreman Rubicon. They are 17" eye to eye. The Rubicon weighs 690 lbs. Seems that this would be a pretty good fit as length seems good (with a couple of inches of sag) and vehicle weights are similar.

Thoughts?
Old 07-29-2020, 12:19 AM   #8
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphart View Post
Jim
There's no doubt that would be easy. Could literally make a bolt on setup. Radius arm with bushing that mounts at existing front spring perch. Back end of arm could bolt to bottom of spring perch on axle. Very easy part to make. I'll have to look at the panhard situation. Interesting idea.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:50 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Utility atv shocks are great. Sport atv shocks will be a little on the light side, but will ride nice and soft. UTV shocks will be too stiff. I've tried all 3, various models and styles. I get them used on ebay for about $100 a pair or less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg atv 06.jpg (254.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg G1 hitch.jpg (353.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg G1 rear shocks 3.jpg (92.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-29-2020, 07:15 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Just a thought on this, I too have considered a radius arm suspension. Here's what I came up with. The radius arm suspension (aka 2 link) is great for simplicity and strength and it does a great job at keeping the rear axle from rotating and binding. However, the downside is that it does not articulate. Some people even call this type of suspension a "swing arm" type because the motion is a swinging motion. Here's a video of what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISNuE091FT8

This type of suspension is what I have on my G1/G9 hybrid cart. The G1, G2, G9 have a swingarm suspension type that moves in a swinging arc and leaves nothing to be desired. I've tried soft shocks, stiff shocks, short shocks, air shocks.....it just rides like crap because it has no articulation. If one rear tire hits a bump, the whole rear end hops up and down.

Now if you build the radius arms/trailing arms with heim joints, now you have articulation. That will require the need for a panhard bar to keep the axle on center. Now you're into a little more work. Now you are in the 3 link territory because of the need for the 3rd lateral link or panhard bar.

Have you considered a "3 Link" setup?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 link drawing 1.jpg (53.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3 link cart 8.jpg (144.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3 link drawing.jpg (89.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts