lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
na2so4h2o
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 48v RXV - QuiQ Charger Issue

Recently my QuiQ charger has been flashing a single red light indicating that High Battery Voltage was detected after a few hours on the charger.

It seems that it is fully charged but it is not green like it used to show. Around the same time this started happening I added a voltage reducer but I have started unplugging the negative lead to the reducer each time I charge and it still flashes a single red.

Coincidence? Should I remove the voltage reducer completely and see if that stops the red light?

Thanks for the help. Just seems weird that the pack is still being charged yet this light is red instead of green.

http://www.evdrives.com/v/images/Bat...uide_Rev-4.pdf
na2so4h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48v RXV - QuiQ Charger Issue

Not knowing brand or how reducer is wired.
Yes I would disconnect it then trouble shoot charger problem as it started after reducer was added.

What brand reducer and how is it wired?
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
na2so4h2o
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The reducer was in the MadJax light kit and is wired directly to the battery pack as a whole. red-red black-black. input is always 50v+ and when plugged in the output is 12.4v from yellow and black wires.

I unplug it when charging but it still doesn't complete the charge, at one time, and usually takes 3-4 times of unplugging it from the wall and cart to reset everything.

Oddly enough though, last night I moved the charger to the garage floor(cooler) and then removed the seat and the charge completed successfully with a green indicator on the first try.

Do you think the temperature of the charger and pack would cause something like this? I live in South Georgia and in my garage at night it isn't getting below 85* and under the seat when charging, it has to be over 100*

Just seems a little hot to me, maybe the battery pack doesn't care?
Old 08-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You dont keep the charger under the seat while charging, do you? QuiQ chargers are sensitive to heat, and will "throttle back" when they get hot, to control their heat. I have seen heat related "cutback" on nearly every ezgo 2five (where the QuiQ charger is mounted under the seat), and propping up the seat during charging solves the problem.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:10 PM   #5
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Good point.
I always have my seat propped up more so to let gas’s escape when charging
But charger does monitor tempeture as it charges.
Batteries ( ambient temp.) to warm it can effect charging.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:10 AM   #6
na2so4h2o
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
You dont keep the charger under the seat while charging, do you? QuiQ chargers are sensitive to heat, and will "throttle back" when they get hot, to control their heat. I have seen heat related "cutback" on nearly every ezgo 2five (where the QuiQ charger is mounted under the seat), and propping up the seat during charging solves the problem.
No, it was sitting on a wood workbench and I previously always left the seat down.

I didn't drive it yesterday but the next time I charge it, I will leave the charger on the cement floor with the seat up for ventilation.
Thanks
Old 08-07-2020, 08:53 PM   #7
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Looking back. Why are you disconnecting voltage reducer before chargeing
The batteries? What prompted this practice?
Thanks😊
Old 08-11-2020, 10:03 AM   #8
na2so4h2o
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
Looking back. Why are you disconnecting voltage reducer before chargeing
The batteries? What prompted this practice?
Thanks😊
Honestly, the voltage reducer was the only thing that was "new" to the configuration when the charging issue started to happen, so I thought it might be the cause?

I am still having the issue where I occasionally get a single red flash but I unplug the cart and plug it back in and then it usually fully charges with a green solid.

I don't think that unplugging the voltage reducer matters as sometime I do it and sometimes I don't; the red flash still happens regardless.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #9
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Taking a stab in the dark here
How far are you running batteries down before charging?
Should be charged after every use.
Unless you can verify bad loose connection, symptoms lead to possible bad charcher.
Have another charger to borrow?
Old 08-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #10
na2so4h2o
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
Taking a stab in the dark here
How far are you running batteries down before charging?
Should be charged after every use.
Unless you can verify bad loose connection, symptoms lead to possible bad charcher.
Have another charger to borrow?
Batteries are charged after every use regardless of how long they are drained. They are watered regularly as well. I don't have another charger but I am starting to think it is this charger.

I watched it yesterday goto 1 red light flashing after like 2 minutes on the charger then unplugged/replugged and again about 2 minutes the red light was flashing again. After about 4 of these unplugging and back in, the green light was on this morning indicating a complete charge.

I did put a voltmeter on it during the charge and it was reading 51.5-51.8v.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO