lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
Rich427
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default RXV rear suspension issue

I have a 2012 RXV that is stock other than some appearance upgrades, not lifted. When the pandemic started I was bored to death and new I needed new tie rod ends, so, I replaced them. A few weeks later I then replaced my front struts. After these repairs the front suspension tightened up quite a bit. But after I added the new struts, I started getting a rubbing sound that initally I thought was in the left front. I have now found that it is in the left rear. I just pulled the left rear wheel and noticed that the thick plastic bumper is interferring with the inside of the left rear tire. I have seen a previous post about trimming this area and will do so today. But I noticed that the leave springs only have one, over the axle "U" bolt, that is mounted diagonally over the axle and holds the center of the spring to the bottom side of the axle. It is the same on both sides. Is this right? Or has this been modified?

I plan to replace the leaf springs and shocks. Most of the on line cart parts suppliers sell HD springs. My cart does not have a rear seat, it is used on the road within my private community, and on our golf course. Will I make the ride worse with HD springs? ..With the HD 2 stage springs? Or, should I just try to buy the stock spring with the stock spring rate? If so, does anyone know who sells a stock spring? BTW, I am running 215/35x14 low profile street tires.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for the help.
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
GATORB8
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV rear suspension issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich427 View Post
I have a 2012 RXV that is stock other than some appearance upgrades, not lifted. When the pandemic started I was bored to death and new I needed new tie rod ends, so, I replaced them. A few weeks later I then replaced my front struts. After these repairs the front suspension tightened up quite a bit. But after I added the new struts, I started getting a rubbing sound that initally I thought was in the left front. I have now found that it is in the left rear. I just pulled the left rear wheel and noticed that the thick plastic bumper is interferring with the inside of the left rear tire. I have seen a previous post about trimming this area and will do so today. But I noticed that the leave springs only have one, over the axle "U" bolt, that is mounted diagonally over the axle and holds the center of the spring to the bottom side of the axle. It is the same on both sides. Is this right? Or has this been modified?

I plan to replace the leaf springs and shocks. Most of the on line cart parts suppliers sell HD springs. My cart does not have a rear seat, it is used on the road within my private community, and on our golf course. Will I make the ride worse with HD springs? ..With the HD 2 stage springs? Or, should I just try to buy the stock spring with the stock spring rate? If so, does anyone know who sells a stock spring? BTW, I am running 215/35x14 low profile street tires.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for the help.
Pre 2014s have the single diagonal U-bolt, and horizontally bolted shocks.

Any chance one of the "christmas tree" fasteners popped out of the fender liner? (Is that the bumper you mentioned)

HD Springs will firm up the ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (43.0 KB, 0 views)
GATORB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:09 AM   #3
Rich427
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

GatorB8, thanks for the reply about the diagonal U bolt. Glad to hear that its right and I appreciate the schematic. I will check on the fender liner, but don't think that is an issue. The bumper issue I am talking about is the actual rear bumper. With the left rear tire off and if you are looking at the wheel hub, if you then look to the rear of the cart inside the wheel well you can see the part of the thick plastic bumper that is mounted to the bottom of the cart body. The inside part of the bumper curves slightly to avoid rubbing with stock tires. But, I'm guessing, with 215/35x14 tires and a possible weak left leaf spring, I am getting some interference that can be easily trimmed with a Dremel tool and a strong cutting bit. I will be doing that shortly.

Any thoughts on sticking with the stock spring since I don't have a rear seat and the only weight past the rear axle is my golf bag?
Old 08-05-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
GATORB8
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Any thoughts on sticking with the stock spring since I don't have a rear seat and the only weight past the rear axle is my golf bag?
I would stick with stock for comfort if you eliminate your clearance issue. There was a noticeable change in ride when I swapped from stock to HD at stock height.

If you're doing the springs, I would replace the bushings. They come with a lot of the aftermarket spring sets.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #5
Rich427
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

GatorB8, thanks for the help. I just took a Dremel tool with a round tile cutting bit and shaved away the area where I had the interference. Remounted the tire and took it out for a drive and I think I took care of the interference. This will give me a little time to find the right springs for my RXV. BTW, while I had the wheel off and had finished the interference grinding, I stuck my head into the wheel well and look for rubbing signs on the plastic inner fender. I was not able to find any interference there. Now, off to find the right place that carries the stock leaf springs. One other question. There are so many different wheel and tire combinations that are being run on carts. On the sidewall of my 215/35x14 tires it states a maximum load at 30 psi. I am running 25 psi now. But I see guys running pressures under 10 psi to improve ride. I realize that pressures are specific to tire type and size. What are your thoughts on this. Thanks Again!!!
Old 08-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
GATORB8
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
GatorB8, thanks for the help. I just took a Dremel tool with a round tile cutting bit and shaved away the area where I had the interference. Remounted the tire and took it out for a drive and I think I took care of the interference. This will give me a little time to find the right springs for my RXV. BTW, while I had the wheel off and had finished the interference grinding, I stuck my head into the wheel well and look for rubbing signs on the plastic inner fender. I was not able to find any interference there. Now, off to find the right place that carries the stock leaf springs. One other question. There are so many different wheel and tire combinations that are being run on carts. On the sidewall of my 215/35x14 tires it states a maximum load at 30 psi. I am running 25 psi now. But I see guys running pressures under 10 psi to improve ride. I realize that pressures are specific to tire type and size. What are your thoughts on this. Thanks Again!!!
If you have the time, you could do the chalk test https://www.intercotire.com/using_ch...etermining_psi

Basically you want the tread to wear evenly, and over and under inflation make it wear on the middle and outside respectively.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #7
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

i have some rear shocks that are brand new I need to get rid of if interested. I bought them not knowing they wouldn't fit on a 2015 RXV but will fit on 2014 (maybe 2013) and older.
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
Rich427
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut2000 View Post
i have some rear shocks that are brand new I need to get rid of if interested. I bought them not knowing they wouldn't fit on a 2015 RXV but will fit on 2014 (maybe 2013) and older.
Wingnut, sorry I just saw this. But when you posted I had already order, and I have now installed my new springs and shocks. Thanks anyway!
Old 08-25-2020, 10:40 AM   #9
Roman808
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut2000 View Post
Still Available?
Roman808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO