lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!
Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's! Side x Sides, ATVs, Quads, Bikes, Jeeps, 4x4, and everything else.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
x-bird
Getting Wild

Default Winter sxs/Atv project

This started out as a Yerf 3203 fun kart. About the only thing left is the floorpan.

First test ride vid, what happens was actually expected in one regard and has been addressed with a "field replaceable" component that takes about 1 minute to fix if needed.
x-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
x-bird
Getting Wild

Default Re: Winter sxs/Atv project

So i finally got the ez-go rear dialed in, was having engine/swingarm/sprocket alignment issues because the engine hangar was hitting the main frame on big hits and shifted over. Started eating a lot of roller chain.

Added some doors and netting, changed up the clutch springs and rollers for some low end --lost about 7 mph up top and took her to the races ...

Since i never plated/welded the rear housing closed where i cut the trans portion off, I didn't last real long getting highsided on the rocks while i had the flat. It's at a friend's now getting 6061-ish structural C-channel tigged in ...
Old 10-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

What does this beast look like from the outside? I have long thought of building some kind of buggy like this, but how did you do it?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
x-bird
Getting Wild

started as a used backyard fun kart that lasted all of a month in my hands. evolutionary build process of trial and error engineering, testing, breaking, designing, thrashing, breaking & starting over for the past year. Only in the last month have i really gotten it to the point that i don't have any changes or upgrades in mind.
Instead a new one is planned from a trashed more buggy style kart -- thinking 250cc manual quad engine and 2 speed cushman rear.

before, during and after pics .... only the floor pan, partial side rails and front connection hoop remain of the original. all the other cage metal, suspension, steering etc. is new or chopped up original repurposed--the nerf bars are the original brush guard/roll hoops. Doors, roof and nets were added the day before the race in a late night thrash per race regulations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a3203.jpg (356.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg sarm53.jpg (272.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg zzz2.jpg (183.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (636.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg kaw2478.jpg (189.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-24-2014, 12:46 AM   #5
x-bird
Getting Wild

So, a few years later she still has a bit of Ez-Go DNA in her. Running the front hubs and axles i picked up through a member here. Aside from needing new bearings, they've held up very well. Swingarm withthe golf cart rear axle got sidelined as it was just too rough of a ride in the rocks. Engine is now an '85 quadrunner LT250 5 speed driving a jackshaft to hub-drive trailing arms for IRS.

Photo credit Tabbs Photography
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9429-X2.jpg (373.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
x-bird
Getting Wild

And another year or so later and some more morphing.
Improved the cage design by revising the upper structure with 1-1/8th chrome-moly tubing, more triangulation and addition side panels along with a firewall.

It's now home to an LTZ 400 engine built with an Athena 434 jug, hot cams, awaiting an FCR 41 carb sitting on the seat.

Shocks are 10" travel fox 2.0 airs front/rear travel is 16 inches with 14" ground clearance.

It's close to getting some bits and pieces installed to get some front brakes on it using studs and rotors from Jakes with the old EZ-Go hubs. Along with those items, still working on pushing tire size all around to the 26/27 inch range.

Despite some unusual problems each race, it finished the local race season 7th out of 21 in the SXS class, only homebuilt in an unlimited field mod-wise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11751448_941565075903304_5315734392392177114_n.jpg (164.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 12010496_975996162460195_2326865885750957241_o.jpg (229.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg nose.JPG (157.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1275.JPG (325.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #7
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Looks like you built a fine buggy. It seems to have evolved much like many of the golf carts do. I know mine has had many renditions in a short time.

Congrats on doing so well with a home built buggy.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
mucklizard
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

My buddy has a yerf dog cart if u can even call it that any more lol theres some vids of it and another buddies on youtube at loxtimb. I had one for awhile and they r a blast to ride. Only major issue i had was the spindles breaking.
mucklizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:55 PM   #9
x-bird
Getting Wild

Thanks smokin, the points results and doing decent overall come from finishing at least one lap at each event. Course is so rough that there's always a couple production UTVS done in before the first lap. In 3 seasons i too have my share of not finishing even one lap. This past year was the first year i managed to get one full lap in at each event despite holing/cracking the rad twice, having the steering knuckle fail (a bit hairy at 35+ mph) and having the cams way out of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucklizard View Post
My buddy has a yerf dog cart if u can even call it that any more lol theres some vids of it and another buddies on youtube at loxtimb. I had one for awhile and they r a blast to ride. Only major issue i had was the spindles breaking.

pretty sure I know your friend's ride, i think he appeared on buggymasters as timb about 3-4 years ago, jacked up even higher than mine, likes to mud it, right?

I "killed" the original cart in about a month's time, the ez-go axles and hubs have been bulletproof. I used .058-wall cro mo for dual a-arms, true kingpin style spindles. Just starting to install front brakes with rotors and conversion lugs from jakes. been racing with essentially no brakes the last two seasons, tired of puckering up when i pull in the clutch while on a steep and rocky downhill and she takes off before I finish the downshift!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!