lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Talking Dereck's 48 Volt Upgrade

Well just finished a 48 volt upgrade on my 2003 TXT Series Cart.

Here are the Details for those interested.

Replace the 6 T-105 6 volt batteries with 6 Trojan T-890 8 volt batteries.
Replaced stock controller with Alltrax 4855 500 amp controller
Upgraded motor to a GE D398 Raptor
Replaced all battery cables with 1/0 MTW cable
Upgraded F/R and Solenoid to heavy duty.

Don’t have a GPS to measure speed, but wife paced me on flat blacktop at around 30 Mph. I also got a fair increase in torque; according to motor manufacture around 30% increase with the voltage/motor/controller combination I used. It will bark the tires and lift the front wheels off the ground from a stopped position. Couldn’t be happier at this point in time with one minor problem down the road; adding 12 volt accessories like a radio or head lights. Not a big problem just means I need a 48/12 converter if I want to add accessories down the road.
dereckbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Jibba
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Dereck's 48 Volt Upgrade

Dereck, I put a 12 volt deep cell under the drivers seat just for accessories in my 2000 EZ. Just charge it once in a while with 12 volt charger.
Jibba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Dereck, I put a 12 volt deep cell under the drivers seat just for accessories in my 2000 EZ. Just charge it once in a while with 12 volt charger.
You know that is not a bad idea. Now that you mention it, there is room for one more battery under the seat. The reason I did not use 6 volt batteries is because I actually play golf and did not want to give up the bag well for one of the batteries.

Almost forgot for my 48 volt charger I used a 48 volt rectifier from work. I am a Telecom Electrical Engineer who designs 48 volt plants and have access to retired telecom equipment and materials and all the toys that come with it.

THX

Dereck.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
AugustaResident
Getting Wild
Club Car

That is the EXACT set I had in my TXT with the exception being that I had a 4865 650 amp controller. With stock size tires, 30 mph all day long and would spin the tires (just a little) from a dead stop. That Raptor motor is a tough charactor for sure.

Cool set up huh? Just watch out when cocktail cruising so you don't overheat the wires. It will run a little hot going slow. You did change the motor cables to match those 1/0 battery cables correct?

Enjoy the new life in thqt TXT !!
AugustaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustaResident View Post
That is the EXACT set I had in my TXT with the exception being that I had a 4865 650 amp controller.
Well I considered a 650 amp controller, but to this day no one could explain technically to this enjuneer how or what the benifet would be over a 500 amp controller? For those technically inclined the peak HP of the raptor is 15 or about 250 amps at 48 volts.

IMO 500 amps is 100% overkill as the motor will never draw more than 250 amps even for a second. On paper a 300 amp controller should perform the same as as a 400, 500, or 650 with a 10HP average 15 peak motor.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I tried this on a friends suggestion.......I ran 2 12v headlights and 2 12v tail lights on 16v. They are bright but they work. Just don't turn them on while charging....anyone else try this?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

They will work, but will simply not last as long. I wouldn't send that voltage to a stereo however. That's much more of a gamble. A new bulb is a few bucks. A new stereo is another story....
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #8
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

I'm still running my lights on 2-8volts, brighter than any other cart around. I've had no problems other than it really is too bright!
Derekbc...nice set up...I have seen that combo perform, very impressive. Just wait till you regear, you'll be too fast!
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
AugustaResident
Getting Wild
Club Car

When I bought my set up I did not want to buy small and need big. The controller came first and I had thought about the BEAST motor but that was before I decided not to LIFT the cart. I bought the Raptor motor and the 650 was just icing on the cake I guess. I have some hills to face on asphalt roads and with 4 people on the cart, I certainly appreciated the 650 amp controller. The cart would not even slow down.

You may not can tell a difference in the 500 and 650....who knows. Either way, you got yourself a cool set up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
Well I considered a 650 amp controller, but to this day no one could explain technically to this enjuneer how or what the benifet would be over a 500 amp controller? For those technically inclined the peak HP of the raptor is 15 or about 250 amps at 48 volts.

IMO 500 amps is 100% overkill as the motor will never draw more than 250 amps even for a second. On paper a 300 amp controller should perform the same as as a 400, 500, or 650 with a 10HP average 15 peak motor.
AugustaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
Otter70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a group 24 12v marine deep cell under the drivers side of the front seat and I bolted a 6 fuse block to the inside of the drivers side rear fender for all my 12v stuff. Works great!! I charge it with a 12v smart charger that I bought from walmart. This pic is before I went to 48v.

Otter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO