lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Delta QuiQ 48 on 42v question

This morning I have a major mess. I am going to contact the seller and discuss it with them before I elaborate.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
gaston
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
This morning I have a major mess. I am going to contact the seller and discuss it with them before I elaborate.

Jim

One fast question... did you checked the right algorithm was programmed to the charger? This is very easy to perform.

I know one has to trust the sources, but there are some cases double and triple checking would not hurt and save mayor hassles
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #13
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Gaston,

When the invoice had "**PRE-SET TO 42v INTERSTATE**" printed right in the middle of it just like I asked them to do I took them at their word.

After about 45 minutes of charge time the pack voltage was a little over 46v and the rate was 4.5a so I didn't see anything to make me suspicious.

As you have probably figured out I opened my shop door this morning to a terrible smell-hot batteries-liquid on the floor and 56.6v pack voltage.

I can guess what happened but until I go through the procedure to check the settings with the seller on the phone telling me each step to take I will reserve judgment. I have gone through about 4 gallons of baking soda-hot water solution this morning and have most of the mess cleaned up. I took one of the batteries down to a "been here forever" battery shop and had them take a look at it. It is their opinion after doing some testing that it is "probably" not damaged. They said to replace the lost fluid with battery acid not water as a fully charged plus batteries fluid is the regular battery acid solution and it would only need water if it was dead as the fluid in a dead battery is just water. That is why a dead battery will freeze. Made sense to me. The stuff foamed up big time when the baking soda-water solution hit it and that ain't just water (-:

I should know more tomorrow when a employee of the seller involved returns to work.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry to hear of your troubles. That is the reason I posted my first reply to this thread -
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
.....The single bottom output bar is lit and my meter loop shows 4.5a charge output. the charger has been on for about 30 minutes and the voltage is up to 45.5v. I have some caps off and will watch for bubbling but so far none.

Does it sound like all is well??

Jim

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
gaston
Gone Wild

As the batteries are new, I don't think either they are damaged...
and yes, I am suspecting they didn't set up well the algorithm #... second call to DeltaQ before going ahead will help you understand better the whole thing.

It is pretty straight up to check the algorithm, I am PM'in you the info.

As for the ELECTROLYTE your batteries lost, DO NOT put ONLY acid, do this:
find 100% sulphuric and 100% distilled water, make a solution out of 22% acid, 78% distilled water. Do not fill nothing yet.

You can specifically check the density of solution BEFORE refilling any electrolyte or distilled water with hydrometer, you will need to let batteries rest for a while, probably 12 hours, and use the hydrometer to see what it reads. I don't have at hand a table for density readings but you can find one a trojan's web site.
If density is below the recommended, then:
Start by adding 30 to 50% of the level to be reached of the previously made electrolyte solution then complete with distilled water. This will give you a near by the acid density you need on them. Then re-test specific density, you need to perform another charge procedure so the solution can mix. Then repeat the process.
If you filled the level of cells with combination of electrolyte and distilled water and you haven't reach yet the recommended specific density, then you can remove a little of the electrolyte inside cells and add a little more of the previously made by you electrolyte. TAKE CARE ADDING ACID/ELECTROLYTE to battery, too much acid is not good, that's why you have to go slow on this.
It can take a few days until you reach the desired specific density. You don't never want to go over 1300.

The 56~ volts divided 21 cells you have there is around 2.69v per cell which is not real damage for battery cells and within safe parameters during battery break in.

Last edited by gaston; 09-09-2009 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: edited: typo 88%, is 78%
Old 09-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #16
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Bummer! Not to open a can of worms here but after being so specific in what you wanted and then having it not as advertised.
I'd be pissed to say the least. Lucky you didn't have an explosion and fire.

There is a certain amount of responsibility on the seller if they contract to pre-set a piece of equipment and although stated, it was not done.

IMO, the seller should consider himself lucky to be reimbursing you for your replacement battery costs and depending on what shape your shop was in, the cost to clean up and re-coat your shop floor.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There has also been alot of acid on and in the battery trays and cart frame. All batteries should come out for a through frame wash and neutralizing ..... Sorry for your troubles.....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #18
gaston
Gone Wild

Just spoke with some techs and they suspect the algorithm wasn't right programmed... it should be NO problem like this if the algorithm is correct...
Old 09-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #19
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That's very unfortunate. Hope it all works out and nothing is too bad. Sorry to hear.
You really shouldn't need to check the dealers programming....I guess they make mistakes too.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #20
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post

As for the ELECTROLYTE your batteries lost, DO NOT put ONLY acid, do this:
find 100% sulphuric and 100% distilled water, make a solution out of 22% acid, 78% distilled water. Do not fill nothing yet.
Gaston, my high school chemistry is a bit rusty, but I do know there is a very specific method of mixing acid and water. I don't remember if you pour the water into the acid, OR, the acid into the water, but from a safety standpoint one method is proper and the other method is dangerous. Can you or anyone else confirm this?

Safety First!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO