lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
PatrickDame
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 EZ-GO Freedom w/PDS, no reverse

Hi,

I've been working on a 2000 36v EZGO Freedom that someone else in our shop had disassembeled. With the wheels in the air, it will move in the forward position at what seems like normal speed. But, when you select reverse, nothing happens when you press the accelerator. This cart was in perfect working order when it came in.

There are two wires (yellow and black) running from the two small posts (nearest the center) of the solenoid that are about 18" long apiece with female spade ends that are disconnected. These wires show 50 volts at all times, regardless of directional switch position. When you press the accelerator pedal in forward the yellow wire shows a slight voltage drop (4-5 volts) and the black wire loses all voltage when the solenoid clicks in. When pressing the accelerator in reverse there is no change and both remain at 50 volts.

Also, the backup alarm does not activate when switching to reverse. The alarm will sound if you ground the negative side, but it appears not to be receiving a ground from the controller when switched into reverse.

I believe that these two wires are the source of my problem and are what is preventing the cart from operating in reverse. As I mentioned, they are only approximately 18" long, so I would assume they connect somewhere fairly close to the controller, but I can't seem to find it. I cannot find a diagram for this solenoid on this site or any other.

I welcome any ideas.

-Cart is fully charged
-Directional switch has continuity and is sending voltage to the controller.
-These two wires do appear to be original to the cart and were not added at a later date.
PatrickDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
PatrickDame
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2000 EZ-GO Freedom w/PDS, no reverse

A couple of more issues.

All accessories have been disconnected (headlights, brake lights, turn signals) as per our customer's request. The switch from the brake pedal is disconnected as well. I don't think this would have any effect on the problem.

Also, the run/tow switch seems to be having some problems. The cart will run regardless of switch position. I don't know if there is a separate forward and reverse circuit in this switch and haven't yet tried to remove the switch and jump out the wires.

I really want to try to find where the yellow and black wires go first, so I can eliminate as many variables as possible before I begin troubleshooting.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
PatrickDame
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2000 EZ-GO Freedom w/PDS, no reverse

After some research on the web, it looks like those yellow and black wires may have went to an hour meter that was never installed on this model. If anyone can confirm this, I would appreciate it.

I now think the main culprit may be the run/tow switch. Any ideas?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO