lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
francotirador
Not Yet Wild

Default '06 PDS speed chip & battery questions

Hello: I'm new to this forum and golf carts. I'd first like to thank everyone who has posted on this site. It's obviously a great source of information and all too often people take sites like this for granted.
So, I bought an '06 EZGO PDS golf cart for my kids. It has '06 Trojan batteries in it. I'd like to know if there is any difference between the numerous speed "chips" that are out there. I see them on eBay from 3 to 20 bucks or so each. The dealer where I purchased the car wanted 50 bucks for one installed. I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on that one.
Also, I've read a lot about proper care for the batteries. However, I still don't know the correct charging method for them. That is, should I let them get near drained, then charge them? I saw someone post a recommendation that they should be charged when only they have 80% of their charge left. My kids ride the cart a lot and I don't want to have to come out of my pocket any more than I have to. So, I want to take care of what we have.
Thank you in advance.
francotirador is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '06 PDS speed chip & battery questions

If the cart is for your kids, then do not add the speed chip! As for the cost - if it comes from EZGO, then $20.00 is a fair price. I have no idea where these people get them from that sell for $3.00? Someone must make them from older "blanks' to remotely come close to that price. Good call - $50.00 for one installed is a bit over the top...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
francotirador
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the response. I imagine the cart is a bit sluggish because the batteries are nearing their useful life, so I wanted to give it a little juice.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

It must be National Speed Chip Week!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it is sluggish, then it needs batteries. A chip won't fix bad batteries...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It is best to recharge after use. The lower you run the batteries before recharging the shorter their life.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
sunking
Gone Wild

You charge the batteries after any use. Never ever let the batteries get to less than 50% DOD.

As for the Speed Chip, $3 is too much if it is what I think it is. It is a plastic plug with a wire jumper.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Freedom Chip:
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
francotirador
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. I've been reading a lot and learning. It's quite time consuming, but it's all good to know. I don't need to tell any of you, but this really gets insane. I thought, hey, it's a golf cart, charge it up and get going! Well, ignorance is obviously bliss. I did bite the bullet and spent a whole 5 bucks including shipping for a "chip." My only concern with that was ruining something. I just thought that since some are a lot less expensive than others perhaps there was some difference in them that could ruin the controller. I don't know.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
sunking
Gone Wild

Don't let the speed chip fool you. There is nothing technical about it. All it is wire jumpers for the 4 speed mode and regenerative braking options. Without it I think default is All Terrain if my memory is correct.

Options:
1. All Terrain Mode. 13 Mph , No regen braking
2. Steep Hill Mode, 13 Mph, Heavy regen braking
3. Mild Hill Mode, 14 Mph, Mild regen braking.
4. Freedom Mode, 17-19 Mph, No regen braking

All you need to know is to flip the Run/Tow switch to Tow before removing or changing the Jumpers.

I think the $50 crap you are seeing may be something like this that uses two toggle switches to get all four modes:

If you have some mechanical electrical experience you can build one for just a few bucks. A high school kid can do it.

Be glad you do not have a Club Car. They require a electronic programmer and a code purchased from CC to alter the speed.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO