lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2012, 06:21 AM   #11
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Under glow

Another source for LED lights:

LED Wholesalers
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
Plasterface
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H. View Post
The Home Depot lights that I have seen are 120 Volts and are usually regular mini light bulbs which wouldn't take the abuse of being mounted on a Golf Cart. To run those lights you would have to get the 48 Volt to 12 Volt reducer and then a 12 Volt to 120 Volt Transformer. That's an added expense along with an added power draw.

-Scott H.
You should do your homework. Whenever you ad something to your electrical system it is a good idea to get a voltage reducer, that is a no brainer. Also, many items, such as a radio or tv or phone charger will require an inverter anyway and you can get one at Harbor freight for 16 bucks.

Home depot has white rope lights or colored I think they have 72 LED's for like $17. These LED's are in a plastic tube so should hold up to environmental conditions well, not sure about contant bumpiness, but for that price who cares.
Plasterface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasterface View Post
You should do your homework. Whenever you ad something to your electrical system it is a good idea to get a voltage reducer, that is a no brainer. Also, many items, such as a radio or tv or phone charger will require an inverter anyway and you can get one at Harbor freight for 16 bucks.

Home depot has white rope lights or colored I think they have 72 LED's for like $17. These LED's are in a plastic tube so should hold up to environmental conditions well, not sure about contant bumpiness, but for that price who cares.
I dont need a voltage reducer as I already have a 12 volt battery that runs my 12 volt led's, and by the time I'm done with the install of the proper equipment for the application, it's still cheaper than the numbers you came up with. That my friend "is a no brainer"!

And, who cares? Generally, people who have "done their homework" and want the right solution for the application so they dont have to do it twice!
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
Plasterface
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
I dont need a voltage reducer as I already have a 12 volt battery that runs my 12 volt led's, and by the time I'm done with the install of the proper equipment for the application, it's still cheaper than the numbers you came up with. That my friend "is a no brainer"!

And, who cares? Generally, people who have "done their homework" and want the right solution for the application so they dont have to do it twice!
Congratulations!
Plasterface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #15
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Congratulations!
Indeed!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #16
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
You should do your homework.
Your cheap attempt to bait me into an arguement isn't worth responding to.

Welcome to the Ignore List, Have a nice day.

-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
wbwood
Getting Wild

Club Car

Was just reading on buggies unlimited.com that I probably will need a converter and not a reducer since ours will eventually be running headlights, under glow and radio.
wbwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #18
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbwood View Post
Was just reading on buggies unlimited.com that I probably will need a converter and not a reducer since ours will eventually be running headlights, under glow and radio.
They're talking about the same thing we are. Some places call it a Reducer while others will call it a Converter.

Unless you are running a seperate 12 Volt battery to run your accessories like Essness and I are (along with several others on the forum too), you will need a device to reduce the Battery Pack Voltage from 36 or 48 Volts to the equipment's operating voltage of 12 Volts.

One thing to remember about the forum you have mentioned is that just like any other buisness owned and operated site on the web, they are going to steer you to the products they sell.

Let me make it clear that I'm not bashing the site or the company, as it only makes good business sense to promote the products you sell instead of your competition's products. I'm just saying that you are more likely to get unbiased information on a non company owned site that will not profit from the information provided.

I hope this clears up any confusion you might have,
-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #19
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H. View Post
They're talking about the same thing we are. Some places call it a Reducer while others will call it a Converter.

Unless you are running a seperate 12 Volt battery to run your accessories like Essness and I are (along with several others on the forum too), you will need a device to reduce the Battery Pack Voltage from 36 or 48 Volts to the equipment's operating voltage of 12 Volts.

One thing to remember about the forum you have mentioned is that just like any other buisness owned and operated site on the web, they are going to steer you to the products they sell.

Let me make it clear that I'm not bashing the site or the company, as it only makes good business sense to promote the products you sell instead of your competition's products. I'm just saying that you are more likely to get unbiased information on a non company owned site that will not profit from the information provided.

I hope this clears up any confusion you might have,
-Scott H.
Well said Scott.

I have a gas cart with a marine starting/deepcycle battery. If you have an electric cart, you would be wise to either get an accessory battery or a reducer/converter to draw equally from the pack rather than wire your accessories to a 12 volt supply in the pack.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Well said Scott and Scot!

Just for a little clarification....

Reducer/Converter = 36V/48VDC to 12VDC
Inverter = 12 VDC to 120VAC

There's a big difference!
With an electric cart, you would still need an extra battery or a reducer to run an inverter, which just wouldn't make sense!

Now... I have a gas cart, and I bought my 12V LED under glows from http://www.ledunderbody.com/ (thanks for the info azboo!)
and at the time they were $89.00, now they're almost half that!
I run on gravel roads and some trails that would just tear stuff up under there,
I've had them on for about 4 years now, they're still working and worth every penny!

I'd strongly suggest that you don't go "cheap", because you'll eventually have to replace them,
and when you have to replace them... later, is better then sooner!

my .02
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car