lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
wfishtx
Not Yet Wild

Default Run/Tow Switch

2008.5 CC Precedent 48v (4/12)

I've read in a number of places that flipping the run/tow switch to tow will completely shut down all power to everything, however when I do this my battery gauge will still flicker and jump between 5 volts and 7 volts. Nothing works however, but its obvious its not completely shutting everything down.

It's one of ScottyB's meters and stays on constantly. I'm using the factory wires for the meter as well.

Is this normal or might I have an issue somewhere?
wfishtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Run/Tow Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfishtx View Post
2008.5 CC Precedent 48v (4/12)

I've read in a number of places that flipping the run/tow switch to tow will completely shut down all power to everything, however when I do this my battery gauge will still flicker and jump between 5 volts and 7 volts. Nothing works however, but its obvious its not completely shutting everything down.

It's one of ScottyB's meters and stays on constantly. I'm using the factory wires for the meter as well.

Is this normal or might I have an issue somewhere?
That is normal and another reason I ran separate wires to the meter because I leave my switch in tow when the cart is stored or not in use. I just wanted to be able to walk by the cart and visually see where the pack voltage is at without lifting the seat and switching the switch to run.

Out of curiosity, why is your meter reading only 5-7v? Is that only with the tow/run switch in tow?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
LJ12530
Gone Wild

Page 13-18 of the 2009-2011 Precedent Maintenance and Service Manual.

TOW/RUN Switch Test without the IQDM Handset

Warning: The key switch should be placed in the OFF position and left in the OFF position for the duration of this test.

3. With the Tow/Run switch in the RUN position, the reading should be approximately 48-50 volts. With the switch in the TOW position, the reading should be below approximately 5 volts.

4. If the reading is above 5 volts with the switch in the TOW position, replace the switch.

5. If the reading is below 5 volts with the switch in the RUN position........................then it goes into a continuity check that would result in the switch being replaced.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOTTOM LINE: I know you were not talking about a RUN/TOW switch problem, but it sure seem that it would not be abnormal to install a voltage gauge in such a manner that it would read 5 volts when the switch is in the TOW position. It would appear that the gauge is installed so that it actually reads the voltage across the RUN/TOW switch instead of just directly across the battery pack. Looks like things are working normally to me.
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
wfishtx
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
That is normal and another reason I ran separate wires to the meter because I leave my switch in tow when the cart is stored or not in use. I just wanted to be able to walk by the cart and visually see where the pack voltage is at without lifting the seat and switching the switch to run.

Out of curiosity, why is your meter reading only 5-7v? Is that only with the tow/run switch in tow?
Correct Erict. If its in the "run" position, the meter reads 50.8 - 51 depending on how long its been sitting after a charge. This is only happening if I switch it to the "tow" position.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
wfishtx
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ12530 View Post
Page 13-18 of the 2009-2011 Precedent Maintenance and Service Manual.

TOW/RUN Switch Test without the IQDM Handset

Warning: The key switch should be placed in the OFF position and left in the OFF position for the duration of this test.

3. With the Tow/Run switch in the RUN position, the reading should be approximately 48-50 volts. With the switch in the TOW position, the reading should be below approximately 5 volts.

4. If the reading is above 5 volts with the switch in the TOW position, replace the switch.

5. If the reading is below 5 volts with the switch in the RUN position........................then it goes into a continuity check that would result in the switch being replaced.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOTTOM LINE: I know you were not talking about a RUN/TOW switch problem, but it sure seem that it would not be abnormal to install a voltage gauge in such a manner that it would read 5 volts when the switch is in the TOW position. It would appear that the gauge is installed so that it actually reads the voltage across the RUN/TOW switch instead of just directly across the battery pack. Looks like things are working normally to me.
Thanks LJ. I'm feeling better there isn't an issue as well.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car