lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #11
matthd24
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2019 Umax swap

Sand Dune Coon,

This is off Plowmans website,

"Yamaha has made a new 402 motor for their utility carts in EFI (Electronic Fuel Injected) only. We have modified this motor back to a carburetor version so our customers can add a drop in, plug and play big block for their 96 to 17 stock or modified cart. Now you have the option of a legendary Yamaha motor that is quite, powerful and plug and play with big block performance for your cart instead of a noisy china aftermarket motor. Our 402 motor comes in 3 (three) stages of performance in carbureted or EFI. "
matthd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #12
sand dune coon
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthd24 View Post
Sand Dune Coon,

This is off Plowmans website,

"Yamaha has made a new 402 motor for their utility carts in EFI (Electronic Fuel Injected) only. We have modified this motor back to a carburetor version so our customers can add a drop in, plug and play big block for their 96 to 17 stock or modified cart. Now you have the option of a legendary Yamaha motor that is quite, powerful and plug and play with big block performance for your cart instead of a noisy china aftermarket motor. Our 402 motor comes in 3 (three) stages of performance in carbureted or EFI. "

matt - thanks...

his site say 1996 and up but that was a spilt year they made a g14 and g16 - i hope its for the g14 as i might be interested in this swap.

thx
SDC
sand dune coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #13
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

FYI The G 14's whole lay out is completely different from the G16 and up carts. Even putting a G16 engine into a G14 is a major project. But is certainly another option for more power in those later carts for a reasonable price.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #14
sand dune coon
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
FYI The G 14's whole lay out is completely different from the G16 and up carts. Even putting a G16 engine into a G14 is a major project. But is certainly another option for more power in those later carts for a reasonable price.
really? so its just the body that looks similar? is the g14 more like a g9 with a different body? funny they would do that for two years only..
Old 12-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Its main differences were fuel tank located on drivers side (which interferes with almost every G16 & newer muffler, the newest YDRA jw8 muffler fits, just barely), and the motor mounting system was drastically different on G16 & newer, welding will be required for sure. I have done a few of these swaps, while it was fun for me, it was a lot of work.

I made a adapter for the new-style motor that bolted in the stock G14 motor mount holes, I thought it came out really good. I also made a sweet custom exhaust, but the customer took one drive & said it was too loud, so had to convert in the newest "Drive 1" muffler in there, which really didnt wanna fit (didnt take any pics of that, I was so bummed he didnt like my custom exhaust, I didnt think louder than stock exhaust would be a problem since it was his race car tow vehicle). As you can see, I added heat shielding to the gas tank, which i think was really important if you are thinking of putting the muffler anywhere near the gas tank. If you are about to ask me to make you one, sorry, it was one-off & I didnt write down all the dimensions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181002_150703762.jpg (71.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181002_150646512.jpg (198.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181002_150640387.jpg (82.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180914_141709802.jpg (160.3 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #16
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

My take on it was they were getting rid of parts. The 95 had the earlier G2 yamaha transaxle and brakes where the 96 had the later G16 type dana unit. The same pattern was true for the front suspensions.Both had the larger bore version of the G2 engine with a different ignition system.As you mention they had the wider body of the G16. Owning a G14 when ordering parts is very year dependent between the two. Both use the earlier G2 type exhaust system that makes later engine swaps to later yamahas pricey. Both use the same mounting system that again is completely different from the G16 and up carts.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:21 PM   #17
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
My take on it was they were getting rid of parts. The 95 had the earlier G2 yamaha transaxle and brakes where the 96 had the later G16 type dana unit. The same pattern was true for the front suspensions.Both had the larger bore version of the G2 engine with a different ignition system.As you mention they had the wider body of the G16. Owning a G14 when ordering parts is very year dependent between the two. Both use the earlier G2 type exhaust system that makes later engine swaps to later yamahas pricey. Both use the same mounting system that again is completely different from the G16 and up carts.
I always thought that they hadn't put the finishing touches on the new motor systems yet. But either could be true. I cant confirm nor deny either.... as far as the axle thing goes, JN3-118823 was the first G14a cart serial number with a dana axle, all G14 prior had the Yamaha-built axle.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #18
sand dune coon
Getting Wild

....and i paid top dollar for my g14, but its in mint condition, like brand new i don't think it has over 100 miles on it.
I'm just looking for more power, that's what brought me to this thread,,, was thinking big block but they probably don't offer much for that cart either. i might have to pick your brain ray.

thanks for all the info fellas..
Old 12-12-2019, 09:16 PM   #19
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

If it is that nice you might just want to crank the governor all the way up and enjoy. It would be interesting to know which year you have. BUT if you want more power there are the 2 Vegascarts engines and kits plus the CPP vanguard swap. The thing that puzzles me is why yamaha made the engine very slightly larger and used a whole different ignition system for such a short run rather than continue to use the G2 series unit.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:22 AM   #20
cgtech

Yamaha

I could be wrong, but if I recall correctly, the G11 utility cart also used the odd flywheel & pickup found in the G14. Even weirder use of parts. All I know for 100% sure is never try & mix them, you will either have odd spark timing problems, or you will totally destroy some real expensive parts. I mixed 'em up once, and I'm sure glad I turned it over by hand first, or the pickup would have been ripped to shreds by the flywheel. That would have been a real expensive screw-up. That's before I read Smallblocks write-up on the topic of G14 vs prior ignition systems. I learned it myself, fortunately not by destroying parts. (Why does this perfectly good engine not spin over by hand).
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha