lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Dual Action Springs Install Problem

Rear -1.jpg

Rear - 2.jpg

Rear -5.jpg

Rear -6.jpg

This week I installed HD dual action leaf springs to give me more support in the rear since we're always hauling people around in our cart. I read some threads and watched some Youtube videos and figured it would be easy enough... wrong. I ended up having to cutoff 3 of the 4 bolts just to get them off the cart. Then installing them I felt like I was pissing in the wind trying to get the dang things bolted on.

Anyways, after getting all of the bolts on snug I lowered the cart off the jack stands and tested the feel of sitting on the backseat and it felt solid! Noticeably gave me more space between my tire and the body of my cart. I get out the measuring tape and find out that the right side of the cart is sitting approximately 1" higher when measured from the floor to the body when measured directly in the middle of the tire. I also measured the floor to the top of the axel on each side and those measurement were pretty much the same. Please see pictures and give me some input on what I could look into or what looks wrong... Thanks!
Caseyrollins08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Dual Action Springs Install Problem

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr4RuVPY1NA

I don’t know if this video will help, but it may answer some of your questions.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyrollins08 View Post
.... the right side of the cart is sitting approximately 1" higher ....
From the pics the right spring looks it has more arch to it which would make the body sit higher on that side.
Maybe the springs aren't the same.
Did you by any chance lay them next to each other before installation for comparison ?
Not the easiest test, but if the springs were swapped the left side would probably sit higher.
You will probably need shock extender mounts or longer shocks if the frame was raised.
When sitting the shock should be in the middle of its travel.
Also, if you take it apart again, you might consider installing a (4) U-bolt trailer axle kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear leaf springs & U-bolts.jpg (177.7 KB, 0 views)
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #4
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TBabich View Post
From the pics the right spring looks it has more arch to it which would make the body sit higher on that side.
Maybe the springs aren't the same.
Did you by any chance lay them next to each other before installation for comparison ?
Not the easiest test, but if the springs were swapped the left side would probably sit higher.
You will probably need shock extender mounts or longer shocks if the frame was raised.
When sitting the shock should be in the middle of its travel.
Also, if you take it apart again, you might consider installing a (4) U-bolt trailer axle kit.
Yeah, there could be a chance they're different. And no, I didn't compare them next to each other before the installation. I'm wishing I did though. Lol

I'll most likely be taking them apart again...

Yeah, my shocks weren't long enough so I just purchased some new longer shocks that are actually for an EZGO. Everything matched up as the shocks that I have now except they're almost 2.5" longer.

I'll go ahead and get the 4 U bolts that you recommended. Seems like a good idea.

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
rowlands57
Gone Wild
Club Car

Perhaps just try reversing one spring first? It may bring it into level if you try that.
rowlands57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #6
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyrollins08 View Post
.... I'll go ahead and get the 4 U bolts that you recommended. Seems like a good idea. ....
The kit I used was - LIBRA 20079 2-3/8" round U-bolt kit under $20 Amazon.
There is some modifying required to the plates which I detailed in another thread and shortened the U-bolts.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:33 AM   #7
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yesterday i installed Dual Action springs on my cart as well. Although i didnt measure it after the cart didnt seam to be unlevel. I will have to measure them once i get home.

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:09 AM   #8
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well I figured out my problem. It wasn’t the spring... just a couple of the welds on the frame were busted. Re-welded it and all better.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:09 PM   #9
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Yikes, how did that break in the first place? Are those HD springs or DA springs? I thought the DA springs were just two leafs.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #10
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was moving a jack to another spot on the golf cart because it was in my way and I had that rear tire off at the time and the jack slipped. That side hit the ground pretty hard but I looked around at everything and nothing seemed to be broke. I didn't even think of that being the reason everything was unlevel until I took the body off.

I got the springs off Ebay and their description shows Dual Action and HD... So I guess both?

Tags
dual leaf springs install
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car