lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2021, 06:44 PM   #1
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

Default building 2 more 72V carts

Hello Everyone, So to jump right in, this is where I'm at. im going to be building a second and third 72v clubcar DS. I have someone building me a pack for mine current cart now but turns out people at hunting camp (my dad and friend) are both jealous lol. And they want one too. So my first question is how many of you are running 600 plus amp controllers? the controller I bought is 650A and plan to buy the same for there builds, but most BMS's i see dont go that high. how are you guys getting around that?.

I did find this https://www.electriccarpartscompany....y-packs-choice but its only 600A will this be a problem? does anyone know of a better option for a 72V 24S battery? also if you look at the manual on page 25 it talks about a "relay delay time board." is this needed in a golf cart? and can someone explain why?

next i was going to put leaf modules in but do to the age of them and the unknown condition of used modules i decided to go new. i found these https://www.electriccarpartscompany....ncased-battery and i really like them for a couple of reasons. all explained in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buNxclZixuU they are rated for 600A peak and 200A continuous discharge which seems to meet my needs quite nice. that and they will fit right into the DS battery treys. again if anyone knows another option feel free to let me know. im going to give this thread a week or 2 before i order anything, but ill post all my progress as i build it.

last is a simple one is a charger a charger? i plan to just find i middle of the road 24S 87.6V charger. anything i should look for?

Last. I do plan to buy everything from allibaba so the price will be much less then the links.
keepinitreal538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2021, 09:35 PM   #2
morvolts2
Gone Wild

Default Re: building 2 more 72V carts

in the middle of a 72v DS also
Im using a curtis 1205M controller as this is a series cart.

Chevy volt 18 cell pack,HD F&R contactor.
I havent yet shopped a 72v charger,using my adjustable power supply for testing.

May I ask why the need for a 650A controller?
that would be about the equivalent of almost 1000A at 48v.
This is one of the reasons for my choice to up the voltage,
so I can get the same power without a huge amp draw.
morvolts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:15 AM   #3
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

hey morvolts2, the only reason for that controller is, it is the current one i have in my cart and my dad and friend wont be out done by me lol. please post some pics of your build if you can, i'd love to see it.

did you use a BMS rated for your AMP draw or did you use FET's? I still have a hard time fully understanding FET's
Old 01-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #4
morvolts2
Gone Wild

I have no BMS
I have audible alarms that monitor each cell for low voltage
and a low voltage cut off system that will shut system down at a preset limit.
I also have a high voltage cut off in case charger goes wacko.
My 48 volt cart(12s Chevy Volt pack) has a volt/amp meter in the steering wheel,
havent yet figured out where to put one on this new build,
as its got new dash and a custom steering wheel.

$500 is a large price for a BMS that is not well known enough to track their record.

I can assure you that youll never need a 650A controller on 72V
Old 01-14-2021, 10:41 AM   #5
morvolts2
Gone Wild

whats the make and model number of your controller?
Old 01-14-2021, 12:26 PM   #6
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

its a curtis 1238E-7621 (72-96V 650A) although the controller operates between 50-120V.

Morvolts2 do you have a link to your build? that sounds very interesting.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:39 PM   #7
morvolts2
Gone Wild

that puppys not cheap!
Looks like more of an EV controller than a lowly golf cart one. Yikes 84HP,115lb torque.

So your using an AC system?

I dont have any build thread,just a freshly blasted CC frame,a home built PU box and a

Jeep front end.
I have several DS so this is a filler project
Old 01-14-2021, 12:58 PM   #8
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

yes its an AC motor I have the HPEVS AC-9 and thats what my dad bought as well, but my friend bought the AC-20.... im not to happy about that. Just because his will be bigger and faster then mine now lol. all three of us have the same controller. also your right the setup is mostly used in EV applications.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #9
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

Morvolts2 can you go into a little more detail about how your pack works. i did some digging and couldn't find anything like yours. i really like that concept. with a audible alarm and maybe a smart shunt that would be all someone would really need. how do you control overcharging with the high voltage cutoff?
Old 01-14-2021, 04:13 PM   #10
dougrobling
Getting Wild
Club Car

I would say there is no need for 650A at all. I also have a 24S LiFePo setup and never see anything above 300A. (Even at my gear/tire/rpm limit of 50mph.....)
dougrobling is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car