lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
Cammee71
Getting Wild

Default I wanna o faster!!!

I have a 1989 ezgo marathon that goes about 15mph. I was wondering if there was any way of making it go faster, and not blowing up my motor or the cost to do it?? Any suggestions will help! thank you!
Cammee71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: I wanna o faster!!!

Well you only have 11hp to play with so it is never going to be a racer but you could check to make sure that the governor is not kicking in too soon. You should also ensure that the air filter is clean and that the muffler is not blocked. There are plenty of threads on barbequeing the muffler. If the engine is breathing properly then make sure your carburetor jets and nozzles are clean. It is surprising what a new spark plug can do. If you do all this then and you are still not happy then you could overgear the cart by putting on bigger tires. Without lifting the cart you can get 20 inch tires on. Of course that will reduce your torque and hill climbing ability so it is a trade off. If you are concerned about blowing your engine get one of those $12 rev counters from ebay. It's a snap to instal and will give you a whole lot of peace of mind.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Cammee71
Getting Wild

Ok thanks!
Old 10-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Cammee71
Getting Wild

Anyone else have and idea?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Dave hit most of it, and I can't SWEAR that this will work for you as I never measured my speed prior to doing the conversion, but I can say that at least I noticed a small but significant increase by converting to the HEI ignition and high-output coil (if not so much with top-end speed, for SURE in power and accelleration).

Also, the bigger tires are a night and day difference (I run 22's) in top end, and if you're not happy with the slight decrease in power and or accel, then a shorter belt will restore a good part of the lost "oomph" without clipping your top end too bad. My cart runs 20 with 2, 22 with just me on level ground which IMHO is fast enough with the lift
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
Cammee71
Getting Wild

I have a lift and i have bigger tires. Im confused on wht IMHU is???
Old 10-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
Hillbilly Deluxe
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

In my honest opinion.
Hillbilly Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

If you're already lifted and running bigger tires, and you don't have the governor hooked up, 15mph is indicative of some sort of problem (a bone stock 2PG should easily do 18-20mph on big tires). Follow Daves advice as far as making sure everything is running and operating correctly (plug, carb, filter(s), muffler, etc) - sounds like that may help you out
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Ive got an older 2pg Marathon(my avatar pic is the cart with a TXT-body).As far as i know the clutches are similar and the best bang for the buck(free) for low-end power after the 22" tires is to shim your Drive-clutch about 3/16"-1/4" and your Driven-clutch 1/8"-3/16".also remove the shim between the halves on the driven,as this allows it to close up more giving a lower gearing.All of this is with a stock belt,Haven't tried the shorter one.The Drive shimming gives more rpm for engagement for easier and torquier takeoff.Shimming the Driven causes a later shift into "second"which will give more torque over a wider range.I clocked mine against my 4-wheeler at 23mph.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO