lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
gkucf
Not Yet Wild

Default !/3 charge level

Hello. We have an Ez-Go Freedom SE that is having a charging or display problem.

After charging the batteries overnight the state of charge meter only shows a 1/3 charge? When testing the batteries with a volt meter I get a full 36 volts?

If the issue is with the state of charge meter how do disassemble the dash to get to it so I can check it out. It looks as if the whole thing is riveted all the way around.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

- Gary
gkucf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: !/3 charge level

Welcome to BGW!

When dealing with battery voltages it is important to use a digital multimeter and to post accurate voltages. A pack that reads 36.00 volts is 50% discharged. Let's get those real numbers before we try and help you.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
gkucf
Not Yet Wild

Current voltage is 38.3
Old 05-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkucf View Post
Current voltage is 38.3
I don't have the chart memorized, but you are at or close to 100% so the issue is whith your SOC meter on the dash. Now, lets not assume that its a factory or whatever meter so exactly where is the meter installed on your cart? that will give us a better idea of the best/easiest way for you to get at it.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
gkucf
Not Yet Wild

I cant post links because I haven't been a member for 7 days.

It looks like a factory meter. In the center of the dash above the four cup holders is a little chubby hole to the left like where you could install a stereo and to the right is the key ignition, fwd/rev and then the state of charge meter in a vertical position.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

so your meter is a stock meter.....so it looks like this....CORRECT?

EZGO SOC METER.jpg

if you look at the plate its attached to, there are two "push pins" at the bottom. you can take those out and you can remove the plate which will give you access to the back side of the gauge.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
gkucf
Not Yet Wild

Thank you. That is the one. When I get back to work tomorrow I'll pull it out and test it then report back on here.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Those LED bar-graph SoC meters tell more lies than politicians do.

Replace it with something like this, so you'll know what is happening with your battery pack.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Digita...ry_Meters.html

38.3V means that you have new batteries or that they haven't been resting after being charged long enough to get an accurate SoC estimate from the voltage.

Here is a SoC vs Voltage chart.
The voltages listed are At-Rest voltages.

To get an At-Rest volt, you have to let the batteries rest for about 12 hours after the charger shuts off, or about half and hour after the batteries have been used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
gkucf
Not Yet Wild

We checked out the meter and for what ever reason it is now working just fine? So I know that it will still need to be replaced down the road, maybe the connections were dirty. In any event thanks to everyone for the help!
Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
blackhatmav
Not Yet Wild

We are having the same issue with our Freedom SE cart. The original meter looks like the one pictured above. It was replaced with another new OEM meter. Same concern. If the batteries are disconnected for 5 minutes and reconnected the meter reads full charge. Drive the cart the meter drops normally. Charge the unit overnight. Disconnect and turn the key on, the meter stays where it was before charging. Disconnect and reconnect batteries and it resets to full. Any suggestions where to check next? We are currently replacing cables for voltage drop concern. All batteries test within the SOC chart above.

Last edited by blackhatmav; 06-10-2013 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: additional information
blackhatmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO