lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2015, 11:38 PM   #1
ronncat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default YDRE heavy duty solenoid problem

I talked a couple of friends into upgrading the controllers on their 2008 Drives to the new Alltrax XCT 500 amp ones. ScottyB is running a great deal on them which includes a heavy duty solenoid.

As it turns out they both expect me to do the installations as well. Had a couple of hours free this afternoon so I proceeded to dive in on the first one. Popped off the motor cover to access the solenoid and controller, put it in tow and disconnected the batteries. Then I swapped out the stock solenoid with the one ScottyB provided. Also correctly wired in the Diode and the resistor.

Was about to start on the controller when I realized that it would require me to fabricate some type of mount. I recalled other posts that talked about a ready made mount for this controller. Seeing how it's not my cart and my free time is kind of slim these days, I elected to bypass installing the controller and told my friends we'll be ordering them the mounting plates.

So I buttoned everything up, reconnected the batteries and flipped the run/tow switch…

NOTHING…DEAD IN THE WATER… Double checked all the connections and wiring and played around with it through dinner. No luck. So I went back and replaced the stock solenoid and everything worked fine

So, my question.. What did I do wrong?? I noticed that the stock solenoid had neither a diode nor precharge resistor. Are these somehow impeding the function of the stock controller? Is it possible that the solenoid is defective??
I didn't have time to run any tests (i.e. jumping the solenoid contacts, checking for voltages,etc.) I just wanted to get his cart working so I could get some sleep.

I'll probably retackle the install next weekend. Any suggestions on how I should proceed
ronncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #2
Hamanard
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: YDRE heavy duty solenoid problem

Did you have to replace 3 out 5 ring terminals on the wires going to the 'bigger knobs' on the Solenoid?

Also, when installing the solenoid did you drill an additional hole on the frame so the bracket on the new solenoid fits? The old bracket will not work on the new solenoid and the existing bracket is 1/4" too short.

I'm completing the install on both the controller and solenoid today so hopefully i'll be able to help you later on.
Hamanard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
ronncat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

UPDATE

Last night I took the new heavy duty solenoid and connected the coil straight to pack voltage. The solenoid functioned as it should and I measured continuity between the contacts. Then I measured the coil voltage to the stock solenoid from the controller. Got around 15V, not pack voltage

Put the cart on jackstands and hit the throttle. Wheels SLOWLY accelerated. Placed a jumper across the solenoid contacts and hit the throttle. The wheels now QUICKLY accelerated.

I'm stumped…… I figured a solenoid was either all on or all off, so acceleration of the wheels should have been the same. Is it possible to partially close the contacts and get partial pack voltage to the motor?

Didn't have time to trace the wiring back to see where the problem might be. Starting to suspect the throttle or even the controller. Hope it's the controller since the whole goal is to swap this one out for the Alltrax…

Any ideas???
Old 05-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #4
ronncat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamanard View Post
Did you have to replace 3 out 5 ring terminals on the wires going to the 'bigger knobs' on the Solenoid?

Also, when installing the solenoid did you drill an additional hole on the frame so the bracket on the new solenoid fits? The old bracket will not work on the new solenoid and the existing bracket is 1/4" too short.

I'm completing the install on both the controller and solenoid today so hopefully i'll be able to help you later on.

Just drilled out the lugs to the contacts. On the wire that supplies power to the run/tow switch, I snipped the ring terminal and spread it open to fit around the contact post.

I am designing an aluminum plate that both the controller and solenoid will bolt to. This is put on hold until I figure out what the problem is...
Old 05-05-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm thinking there is a problem with adding a precharge resistor to the system. Can you try it again without the precharge resistor?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #6
ronncat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I'm thinking there is a problem with adding a precharge resistor to the system. Can you try it again without the precharge resistor?
I'll give it a go tonite
Old 05-06-2015, 11:40 PM   #7
ronncat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Found the problem…. Or at least changed out the part that had the problem

Figured I had nothing to loose by changing out both the solenoid and the controller. I had checked the voltages on all the wiring that terminated at the controller (throttle switch, F/R switch, Key switch, etc) and they all read pack voltage. I figured that somewhere inside the controller, something was amiss, so I swapped it for the Alltrax.

Lo and behold…SUCCESS!!!! My friend's cart picked up a few MPH on the top, but most importantly, low end torque:thumb up:

One more cart to do, then I can start working on my own projects...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha