lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #1
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Default Another Cart

I guess I just cannot help myself and got another free cart project. Atleast it is another Yamaha. This one is a 1993 G8 based on the serial number. The wires are cut from the motor and not sure if the controller works. This afternoon I got it pushed up to the shop and got it on jackstands.

This weekend I'll start pulling the body off so I can get to everything easier. One thing I find odd is that the charger plug is on top the driver rear fender right behind the back rest. The hole on the seat bottom has been covered up. Not sure why someone would do this, unless it is a different plug?

Already has a nickname (FUNGUS) for the lichen growing on the body.

MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2015, 10:41 PM   #2
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: Another Cart

Cant wait to see the progress pics.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Thats the normal spot on those carts. Beware, the white button on the socket is a interlock, and is notorious for causing a no-run condition even when unplugged.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Got the back rests and rear body off over the weekend. Boy that was a task in itself and I still don't think I removed them the correct way. I had to prop the body up with my leg to get enough room to get the socket on the bolts. Look at the first picture and tell me if the slots are abnormally long? Not sure if there is anything that goes in there now not. The back rest bolts unscrewed toward the front of the cart. Once I got the body off I hosed everything down and got it cleaned up to work on (pictures are before I hosed it down ). Now to start checking parts and seeing what needs fixing or replacing. Anybody have a link on literature for checking the controller?

Here is the plug. Weird that this is the "normal" place yet there is the hole next to the f/r switch.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:12 PM   #5
dbmachine
Gone Wild

The upper shock mounts is that rust or just mud and dirt build up?
Old 07-13-2015, 09:41 PM   #6
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Little bit of rust, but mostly dust. The rust I'll be able to tend to with a wire brush on a grinder. The battery supports are horrible from the rust, but I can rebuild those easily. They are still solid, but the rust monster is living up in there. Might get some of that rust neutralizer and brush/spray that on the areas I see.

Question: I was reading another thread where a member had a 1992 G9. I traced my serial number back to a 1993 G8 and wondering if I am correct as I don't see a year younger being a model number older. My serial number is: JF3-300806.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:11 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Not a G9 for sure. The controller is about the same as g9. Not super powerful, but pretty reliable. 2 small black boxes (diodes) in harness, they are #1 cause of "no-run". They are about size of thumbnail. Controller is yamaha-built. Model-overlap is not uncommon (g22 & drive were both available in '07, g1 available while g2 also available).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #8
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

I got the diodes your referring to. I'll use my multimeter to test them and start there.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Progress as of today. Tested the diodes and they are functioning. Got the motor out but ended up having to pull the stator out by itself, then pry the rotor off the transaxle. Before motor removal I had check continuity between lugs and had a closed circuit on the A lugs, but an open circuit on the S lugs. Then I attempted to loosen the lugs to pull the cut wires off and the one shown in the picture twisted off the brush wire and pulled out. No other damage during removal so off to PQ next week it goes.

I have a bad key switch, so tomorrow I plan to jump the keyed wires for further testing. I'm using the battery pack in the Club Car to try and test FUNGUS.

Had to remove the passenger rear shock to get the stator out.

Opened the controller to see how it looked on the inside. Looks pretty good to me.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #10
dbmachine
Gone Wild

When the batteries and body are off an electric cart, there really isn't much left. Not much wiring at all
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha