lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
Sofa Kingdom
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G29 performance trade-offs and questions

Greetings- I have a 2012 Yamaha Drive bone-stock with the exception of an 8:1 gearset in it. It currently goes about 19-20mph on flat asphalt, 15-16 uphill, and 21-22 downhill. It's not going to get bigger/mud tires or a lift-kit. Any other mods I do would be cosmetic- I plan on painting the machine, and putting a stereo in it. Will see 90% asphalt for usage. Will the stock components hold up or will I likely see an early failure of the stock controller? As I understand they're quite weak. Side-question... The stock controller has the PTV speed code sticker, but it is not programmed in- before the HS gears it only would hit 12-13 mph. If I were to sell the stock controller would the next user be able to have the speed code applied as-is to their machine, using the controller which it's assigned to? Side-question 2- controller recommendations for a replacement to the stock one if it's not going to hold up? Not in need of a speed demon or torque monster. This is just my casual cruiser- maybe 8-10 miles on a Sunday afternoon.
Sofa Kingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G29 performance trade-offs and questions

Stock controller and motor are on the weak side especially with the high speed gears. I have the same cart and it also came with the high speed gears. I killed the motor with an upgraded controller even with it dialed back. I now have a high torque D&D motor and Alltrax controller. I have the max speed dialed back to 25 and the max current set at 350 amps. Runs great.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #3
Sofa Kingdom
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Stock controller and motor are on the weak side especially with the high speed gears.
Weak- power?

or

Weak- likely to fail?

The weak-power I can attest to but it's livable for me as-is- I just don't want the thing broken.
Sofa Kingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:59 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I think the stock Hitachi motor is marginal - and it does not tolerate upgrades well. I killed mine with a controller upgrade - it overheated. The replacement D&D motor does not overheat with the same controller setup. The high speed gears get you close to 20MPH stock but the torque suffers big time. Mine had trouble going up hills on the golf course if I didn't get a running start.
I have upgraded mine and I love it now. Alltrax, D&D, and Leaf Lithium batteries. My cart is 250 pounds lighter with the Lithium battery and it has way more range. This was an expensive upgrade though.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha