lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2021, 04:19 PM   #1
BradTX227
Not Yet Wild

Default G22 New Batteries and Alltrax, Still Slow

I have a brand new set of batteries (6 x 8v U.S. Battery), a brand new 200amp solenoid, and I just replaced the burned out controller with an Alltrax XCT48400. The cart only hits a top speed of 12mph. This feels ridiculously slow, even for a stock cart.

I've tried switching between "4 pole" and "8 pole" speed sensor modes. It's already set at a speed limit of 6,000rpms. Turbo mode is on. Voltage under load seems to drop down to about 47.3 - 47.8 while driving, and later rises bac up and over 48v when parked.

Is this a sign that the motor needs replacement? Or am I simply lacking the correct settings? The motor is from "Electrical Motor Products". But because I can't find any information on it, I can't tell if it's factory or aftermarket. Either way, it's...definitely "aged".
BradTX227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2021, 04:32 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G22 New Batteries and Alltrax, Still Slow

Something is clearly wrong if you are only getting 12mph on that rig. Hook up your laptop to the Alltrax and get a log file while driving. That should tell you something about what is going on. You certainly are not getting close to 6000 rpm if you have normal gearing.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:19 PM   #3
BradTX227
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Something is clearly wrong if you are only getting 12mph on that rig. Hook up your laptop to the Alltrax and get a log file while driving. That should tell you something about what is going on. You certainly are not getting close to 6000 rpm if you have normal gearing.
Brilliant! I just took it around the block, twice. Both times, I brought the laptop and used the monitor function. I logged (and saved) both runs. The first run I did, I put it into "8 pole" speed sensor mode. The second run, I switched it over to "4 pole" mode.

Both times, the RPMs were registering at "0" for the entire duration. Which tells me that the speed sensor is obviously defunct. Or at least, that's what I assume.

So does this mean that the controller allows for some type of "safety" operation when the speed sensor isn't providing any feedback? And if so, has that been the reason for my 12mph limit? And what is it limiting everything off of instead; voltage? amperage? heat?

Very curious.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:48 PM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When the speed sensor is activated and there is no signal detected by the controller it'll reduce the max speed to protect the motor. You can bypass the speed sensor within the Toolkit software ( no limit to 6000rpm, no motor protection ).
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:42 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I had this problem with my first Alltrax install on my G29 because one of the pins on the cable going to the controller was bent and not going into the connector. It happened to be the one going to the speed sensor. Yes - the cart will go very slow without a working speed sensor.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:27 AM   #6
BradTX227
Not Yet Wild

I went out and switched off the speed limit settings, and that changed EVERYTHING. Even with "turbo mode" switched OFF (I didn't want to push it too hard without an electronic safety net), I was hitting about 23mph. Pretty incredible.

It's funny you mention the bent pin situation. After scrolling through old posts, I believe I came across two different stories of people having that same problem. Maybe you were one of them. So I'll be sure to check that later today.

But my next question is, assuming the speed sensor is actually bad (after all, the cart was very slow before), I'm not sure where to find the correct one. I've got the EMP motor. I assume they'll have them. But everything I'm reading suggests that the speed sensors are specific to each motor/manufacturer. Searching the web for different variations of that speed sensor comes up with absolutely nothing. I'm hoping to get a response from them after this weekend.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:46 AM   #7
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've purchased this one from 10LOL, but it's for the oem Hitachi motor only. No idea with a EMP motor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61Iq5gMnM8S._AC_SL1300_.jpg (100.5 KB, 0 views)
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha