lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
Greg1234
Not Yet Wild

Question 1984 Gas cart won't go until engine reaches high rpm

I just bought this 1984 gas ezgo cart and i have to give it alot of gas and it take a second or two and them slams into forward or reverse. It seems like the clutch drive thingy should be closer to the belt at idle than it is.
I can push on it from behind and it moves a quarter of an inch closer to the belt, and thats where it seems to me it should be. is there any adjustment?
It almost looks like I coud put 1/4 inch thick washer under the big center bolt on the back of this thing and then it wouln't have to travel so far to start enganging. Please advise? Cart runs great except for this.
Greg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
skizgo
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1984 Gas cart won't go until engine reaches high rpm

my clutch did the same thing. I cleaned the shaft with some blaster and worked the clutch in and out wiping and re spraying. it may just be rusted or gummed up
skizgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
Greg1234
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. I WILL do what you suggest.. But this cart is really a clean ride. 1-owner and maintenance records etc. I will clean the shaft
and report. Again thanks, for responding..greg
Old 10-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The front clutch (drive) will reach the engagement RPM and slam closed on the belt. The rear clutch (driven) should be closed and absorb the jerk. The cleaning may work. If it doesn't you may need to rebuild the clutch(es). It's not too tough. The drive clutch requires a puller. You should find a diagram on this site http://bennettgolfcars.ca/parts.phpThat's in the tech section on our home page. This site has parts manuals, with exploded diagrams. Let us know if you need anything else t

Edit: The drive clutch has weights that wear out and the driven has ramp shoes and a cam. the shoes wear out. I didn't see a drive clutch blowup. The driven is the same as 91 model.

Last edited by tonyton; 10-09-2009 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: comments
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Greg1234
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, okay I'm game. I want to rebuild my drive clutch but I can't find anyone who lists a rebuild kit. Only replacement units. And the Comet
replacent unit does'nt even closely resemble what my drive clutch looks like on my 1884 ezgo cart. Plus they're expensive. Any help appreciated. Greg
Old 10-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Greg1234
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, okay I'm game. I want to rebuild my drive clutch but I can't find anyone who lists a rebuild kit. Only replacement units. And the Comet
replacent unit does'nt even closely resemble what my drive clutch looks like on my 1884 ezgo cart. Plus they're expensive. Any help appreciated. Greg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO