lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
MCFooter
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lifting? on a 98 Workhorse ST-350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
The st350 is already lifted what size tires are you wanting to put on it? What did you do to mount the springs on top of the axle? It's pretty easy to get the tie rods to clear the springs if you do it right.
I knew it had lift over a basic golf cart but was just experimenting. Currently it has the OEM tires which I think are 21x9x10. I don't want to go too big on the tires and hinder what little performance it has. I was thinking maybe 22-24" and a little wider 10-11". The only mod. it has at this time is a shorter drive belt.

At the moment I just have the Hitch plate and springs sitting on top of the Axels. I do have additional plates made to weld to the top of the axle to match the bottom if I can resolve the tie rod issue easily. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I supervise about 8 Toolmakers so making and modifiying parts is not an issue. I just thought I would ask here and keep from reinventing and developing ideas....

Thanks,
Mike
MCFooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
ruredy
Born Wild

basically all you need to do is adjust the bolts so the axle tilts foward enough for the tie rods to clear. normally you just loosen the front bolts and tighten the back ones more to tilt the axle forward. this will bring the spindle arms up higher raising the tie rods. of course you can always add blocks between the body and front springs in the back. this will also raise the steering box along with the tie rods.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
MCFooter
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
basically all you need to do is adjust the bolts so the axle tilts foward enough for the tie rods to clear. normally you just loosen the front bolts and tighten the back ones more to tilt the axle forward. this will bring the spindle arms up higher raising the tie rods. of course you can always add blocks between the body and front springs in the back. this will also raise the steering box along with the tie rods.
Ruredy,

Thanks for the response I will give that a try. Is it recomended to weld on the additional tabs on top of the Axel? It seems like that might cause a problem when trying to rotate the axel...

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #14
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFooter View Post
Ruredy,

Thanks for the response I will give that a try. Is it recomended to weld on the additional tabs on top of the Axel? It seems like that might cause a problem when trying to rotate the axel...

Thanks,
Mike
If it's welded then yes, you'll have issues trying to rotate it, if anything put plates on it then adjust it where everything clears, then weld it. I'd put the hitch plate between the axle and the springs. I've done the spring right on top the axles also with no problems. I've never welded any of them, never had a need to.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #15
MCFooter
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
If it's welded then yes, you'll have issues trying to rotate it, if anything put plates on it then adjust it where everything clears, then weld it. I'd put the hitch plate between the axle and the springs. I've done the spring right on top the axles also with no problems. I've never welded any of them, never had a need to.
I was able to rotate my axle back and actually get it more square to the ground and get about a 1/4" clearance. This doesn't really seem like enough clearance to me so I put it back stock for now...

I do like the look of the Springs on top of the axle with the hitch plate flipped over and running 1/2" bolts. It gives it the look of more ground clearance ect.

Maybe I'll try putting the 1/4" weld on plates under the rear of the spring and get close to 1/2" clearance to the Tie Rod. Or simply add a tapered shim at the rear TBD....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO