lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
rtkosi
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 club car cuts out and backfires after warm

I am new to the whole gas golf cart scene Any advise/suggestions will be appreciated.

I have a 2001 Club Car - Gas. Would like to know what engine I have. I think it is a Kawasaki FE290 but I understand it is either 9 or 11 hp, don't know how to tell.

My problem is after it runs for a while and gets hot. 5 minutes if it is 90degrees out or 15 minutes if it is 70degrees out. The engine cuts out. At first if I let it the engine stop running then start going it will run for 5-10 seconds but after I do that a few times it starts backfiring and hard to move at all. If I hold the pedal to the floor it will run barely but won't move anywhere. If I wait for 10 minutes and let it cool it runs fine again. I have replaced the fuel pump, air filter, fuel filters, spark plug.

Would also like to know how to adjust the carburetor.
rtkosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
samsonone
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2001 club car cuts out and backfires after warm

you have a carbon build up on the ehaust valve,you need to pull the head off and clean the carbon off the reason for the carbon is bad valve guide seals which you can get from your local dealer very cheap also headgasket you can reuse the headgasket most of the time I have done alot of these when I worked for club car. it was a problem years ago I think they changed the seal supplier.
samsonone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
rtkosi
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2001 club car cuts out and backfires after warm

Thanks for the info samsonone

That is disappointing. I just bought it and this started happening. Someone mentioned an ignition coil. That sounds easier to change but is that a waste of time in your opinion? How involved is cleaning the carbon off the exhaust valve? Do I need anything other than time? gaskets, etc.?

Do you know of an additive that I can try? to the oil or gas?
Thanks again
rtkosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car