lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
portworks
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default torque difference?

1998 yamaha g16a I have a secondary white spring from nivel, and a new factory belt. The difference was noticeable,but would the plowman complete clutch kit make that much more difference to what i have now for torque. Also does his carb/airbox mod do much for lowend grunt? Thanks!
portworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: torque difference?

I've heard nothing but "all good" about Plowman's upgrades. Talk to Don, he can set you up.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

i see Don is only 3hr away from me i might see if he can install his kit for me...i just dont think i could do it

just need more pic of the hole set up
nitro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

go for the whole kit, it has the machined sec. sheive and the spring and spacer.
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:17 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I've never heard bad about plowmans, but I would not expect a big difference just an improvement. Seems like the only way you really can get power from a stock engine is making a new cam. I hogged the airbox on my cart I think it only really helped at top speed and didn't help that much. I did rejet, and still have stock muffler that can't be helping it. I put a cut sheave and rebuilt the primary on another G9 and it works pretty good. It still engages low but the cut sheave seems to give it a lower low gear. It gets up to high rpm faster (at a lower speed) from a dead stop, will climb harder at crawling speeds. I ground the ramps on my clutch and it gets more rpm from about 3mph to 8mph, plan to get a cut sheave on that too. However it seems a mod on the primary is what will raise engagement and make a real difference, just IMHO. I found a spring but not wanting to spend pocket cash for it as it may not work, another project has me broke right now too. Another issue is are yours worn, the one I rebuilt was all dished out and had worn holes in the sheaves. That dish out in there causes them not to shift well and you lose power. Even clutches being dirty can slow it down.

You really need a gps to see what speed you have, and what speed over a set distance. I ran mine to a certain tree and looked at the gps plus top speed. Just because it makes more noise it may not be faster. I wound my clutch up hard so it had more rpm all the time and it went slower, thought it took more gas and may have run cooler. That time I raced another G9 and he could pull away from me when I did that.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
portworks
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I will check the primary rollers when i am back where the cart is. The secondary ramps do have some wear on the them. I am only looking for torque off the bottom, not top speed. Does the timing/offset key help much?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Long as ramps are smooth/etc they should work ok. I don't know about the timing key, the G2/9 have an ignitor that advances the ignition like a motorcyle while newer yamaha went back to a mag on the flywheel that may not, I don't know if those do or not but say they are transistorized. I've been trying to figure all this out. Usually the commercial (read lawn equipment) engines have a mag ignition that does not advance and you need more advance at about 2500rpm and more to have it run 100% up there. Now B&S has this magnetron or whatever and Honda has one, its the same deal as the newer Yamaha one, a coil on the outside of the flywheel and they say they advance the timing...mostly by retarding it at idle/low rpm. Advancing the timing on an engine with an advance device will do less for it (as opposed to an older lawn engine with fixed timing), but you know they are not going to sell it with max advance to the general public so some likely helps. I doubt it is going to make much difference in actual HP though. All I can find is it helps it most on the top end rpms and might add a small amount of power everywhere else. You can also cheat and cut the key down yourself, check out the performance tips at affordablegokarts.com. I'm told the flywheel will not move with no key at all if you don't shock the crank which can't happen with a CVT.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
portworks
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

My ramps are worn, but dont know if it is excessive. I will look at it again when i go to where it is.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha