lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
ezrydr
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default exhaust disassembly question

Hi Guys,
my old G1 had been running great ever since I bought it a couple years ago.
My wife and use it every day to run our dogs.

Yesterday out of nowhere the engine got loud. Upon inspection it appears that the butterfly in the exhaust flange is gone and the linkage fell out the bottom leaving a hole in the bottom of the exhaust flange (which I assume is the source of the loud engine).

From reading other posts it seems the correct course of action is to do away with the butterfly thing altogether and weld the holes in the exhaust flange shut. Am I correct?

I want to take the flange to a welding shop but I cannot get it off the muffler assembly. I know there are a couple sealing rings in there but how do I get this thing apart without wrecking something? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve
ezrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: exhaust disassembly question

I thought the muffler was all one piece? If that is what you are talking about, take the entire thing out. Only multiple cylinder single pipe 2 strokes usually have a manifold, often called 'Y's.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
ezrydr
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

here's the connecton I'm talking about

I need to get the flange out of the muffler pipe so I can get the butterfly (damper) shaft hole welded shut.

I guess if necessary I can just take the whole thing, muffler and all, in to the weld shop.

If I get this thing apart, will I need to replace those rings shown in the diagram as part 2?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture01.jpg (59.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The flange is rusted into the muffler. Here are your options:
1) You can apply penetrating oil and tap on the flange with a hammer to loosen it up. This will take time and patience.
2) Apply heat with a torch to loosen it up. This is quick, but you must be careful not to overheat the muffler flange and melt or bend it.
3) If your welder is willing, just take the whole thing in , have the hole welded up and bolt the assembly back on. This may be your best option to avoid dealing with a screwed-up joint between the flange and muffler.

The joint should flex with engine movement. If it has fused together that badly, the sealing rings (similar to piston rings) are probably stuck or broken also. You won't know until you get it apart whether you can salvage them or if they need to be replaced.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
thedog9
Not Yet Wild

Hey.Let me add.....I removed my muffler for cleaning.It was a little tough to get off.If your luck is like mine the most simple removal will become a nightmare.Maybe clean around the holes with a wire brush,and JB weld them shut with the whole assembly still on the cart.Just an idea for ya.
thedog9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
ezrydr
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
The flange is rusted into the muffler. Here are your options:
1) You can apply penetrating oil and tap on the flange with a hammer to loosen it up. This will take time and patience.
2) Apply heat with a torch to loosen it up. This is quick, but you must be careful not to overheat the muffler flange and melt or bend it.
3) If your welder is willing, just take the whole thing in , have the hole welded up and bolt the assembly back on. This may be your best option to avoid dealing with a screwed-up joint between the flange and muffler.

The joint should flex with engine movement. If it has fused together that badly, the sealing rings (similar to piston rings) are probably stuck or broken also. You won't know until you get it apart whether you can salvage them or if they need to be replaced.
GMB74, thanks for the help. Option 1 worked. Penetrating oil and some gentle persuasion got the joint apart.

But sadly you were also right about the joint being fused. Those rings are 'part' of the flange assembly. I don;t really see any way of getting them off. They are corroded righ into the metal of the flange.

I tried some more penetrating oil and some heat and manage to break a small piece off one end of one of the rings. I stopped before I had a bigger mess.
I need to be very careful not to dmage this flange as it appears from my searching that this part is no longer available.

Thedog9 - yes i had considered JB weld but this morning I awoke with an idea to tap the bottom hole out and thread a short bolt into the hole. Turns out the hole is just about perfectly sized to tap out to a 1/2-13 thread. The hole is too close to the flange mounting ring to be able to turn the head of a 1/2" bolt down tight but a couple of lock wasshers should keep the bolt head up high enough so it doesn't the flange ring and keep it good and tight.

My concern now is reassembly - if I cannot replace those siezed rings I wonder how good that joint will seal? I wondered about maybe wrapping the joint with some of that muffler reapir tape you can get at the auto supply stores.

Still need to do a muffler BBQ while I have this thing apart. too windy today but maybe Thanksgiving day will be nice outside. Good excuse to get outside and away from all the relatives!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Get some red or copper permatex silicone sealer and smear it
on and slip it together. Thousands of sleds have the pipes
installed that way.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
ezrydr
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

terrific! thanks DOOmsman!
Old 11-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I was thinking the same thing, just tap a bolt or set screw into it and tack weld it if needed. Even a bolt or piece of rod, just insert and weld the outside up to hold it. I would not bother to take it apart to fill the holes but you did, it should be fine with a little high temp sealer. I would chop the muffler apart if I had one, see if I cold mod it and clean it. Not seen that done on here yet. Usually you can just cut the welds.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
ezrydr
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

not sure I want to cut the muffler up just yet - the muffler is in very good condition judging from the outside of it anyway. I'm going to try the BBQ thing first.

I've actually got a fire going outside in my firepit right now. Just waiting for it to get going good and then BBQ time!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha