lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Adjustment help on G1?

So i have an 84 G1. I rebuilt the motor last year and did crank case seals and all that fun stuff and it runs great. But it only really runs good in reverse. It will spin the tires going backwards in my garage (dry concrete). But going forward it is fairly doggy off the line. I have a torque spring in it and am just wondering if you guys have any ideas? Im good with suspension and body and stuff...but im complete crap with carbs. Im also wondering if it might be something where i can advance the timing and get it? Thanks in advance guys
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Adjustment help on G1?

It may help, you have to pull the flywheel off and file the mounting holes out a little to do it. Also get the head cut that should not cost that much. Find someone that works on sled engines if you can but near any engine place should be able to do it. What clutch is on it? The original you can stretch the spring or shim it for more takeoff, the G2/9 style with the big cover you can't. A new belt helps, cutting the sheave (secondary) can help too it pushes the belt up high gives a lower gear. You will always get less traction backing up, just like a FWD car at the drags they spin going forward. But if the timing is off it can do that, should be more doggy in reverse after you move it. Response is how you can tell best, the power is better but not that much it helps top end rpm more than anything. Cutting the head will help power everywhere. I forget what they can take off maybe .030 I know it gets into the squish if you do much. They are 6:1 compression or so, you can run regular with cut head I did.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
tony-g1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Hey chuddly my 84 G1 runs better in reverse all so. I think you are on to something with the timing.

Hey sho305 witch way would you turn the timing plate clockwise or counter clockwise?
tony-g1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You always turn it opposite the engine rotation to advance. With rotation retards because it gets triggered later. IIRC then the plate needs to go CCW under the flywheel. Ones I did I moved far as I could they hit something, but it was enough.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha