lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
farleypug
Getting Wild

Default G16 with a serious motor problem.

I just picked up a really nice G16 that appeared to have thrown a rod though the top of the crankcase. However, after taking the engine out and removing the side cover, it appears that the crankshaft counterbalance sheared in half and went through the block. It's not the crank itself, but that small counterbalance that runs off gears on the end of the crank. I can see the slot on the side cover where the countershaft slides into is worn as well. My question is does anyone know where I can get a new counter shaft and side cover for the case at a reasonable price? I really don't feel like spending 250 bucks for a new side cover on ebay. I doesn't matter if the parts are used. Also, how similar are the G9 model engines(could I use that counter balance or side cover)? Thanks for any help.
farleypug is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 with a serious motor problem.

I don't think the G9 interchanges but I don't really know, there is a thread here about swapping various engines might have some info I'm sure you can swap a different engine in. I'll take a guess and say you might end up getting a whole engine used if you can't find the parts used. You can swap to a clone they are around 300 for a whole new engine with more power, but you have to fab up a lot of stuff. You can use the stock clutch and gen/starter just need an adapter for ~50 that keeps the cost down, still have to come up with muffler/airbox mods or adapt them but I bought a car muffler and airbox for 20 at a boneyard and spent that on pvc and pipe fittings/etc.

You can run them without the balance shaft if that does not run the cam or anything. All it does is cancel out some vibration the gokart guys take them out all the time. But I don't know exactly how it would affect a cart. If you can fabricate things I would highly recommend the 420cc clone engine it feels like twice the power and can run just like a stock engine far as starting and all that, for about the cost of a rebuild, and less than having it rebuilt. But up to you.

If the cylinder is solid on the case and bearing webbing, you can usually weld up a case hole with a TIG. Seen it done with B&S 5hp racing engines all the time. One guy on here did talk about repairing a case and pressing a bushing/bearing into the hole. The G2/9 engines are very similar except compression, they also wear the counterbalance and eventually start to knock. Not heard of one blowing though.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha