lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
thelt
Not Yet Wild

Default Analog voltage meter

I have an analog voltage meter like the one pictured here installed in my Hundai cart. My question is this, at rest with the key on, the dial indicates full charge (in the white part that says "CHG"). When the "GO" pedal is pressed, the needle drops to the left side of the gauge. The more "GO" that is pressed the farther to the left the needle goes. At full throttle the needle is in the red to the extreme left. Is this normal? I didn't hook the meter up, it was already in the cart when I got it.

thelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Analog voltage meter

It looks like this right?

The needle should go all the way to the right of the white area a little into the red is OK while charging then drop back to the middle of the white area after the charger has kicked off.
When you hit the gas it should deflect back to the left and then settle out back up towards the white. If the batteries are old and not holding a charge then it will keep moving left on the gauge.
Batteries can be charged but not hold it very long.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:29 AM   #3
thelt
Not Yet Wild

Yes, the meter on the right is the one I have. When I press the accelerator the needle goes to the left and stays there. Depending on how fast I go depends on how far to the left the needle goes. While riding it never comes back to the right unless I let off the accelerator.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

How old are the batteries in the cart? Once you let off the gas where does the needle go? If it goes back to the white charge area then they should be fine. How long can you ride the cart without charging the batteries?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:46 AM   #5
thelt
Not Yet Wild

Basically about 1 year old. The guy I bought it from had just put all new batteries in it. And yes, when I let off the gas, the needle returns to the white charge area. I've never rode it to where it NEEDED a charge. I've always kept a good charge on it. Usually on a three day weekend camping I can go all weekend without have to put it on the charger. I was just curious if my meter was connected correctly and is the meter action normal, my first electric cart.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:02 AM   #6
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Normal for the needle to go to the left and once you let off the gas it should settle back to the white or green. I always say if it settles in the middle of the green after you take your foot off the gas it's time to head toward a charger. If you can ride for three days on one charge then you have nothing to worry about. When I install a meter for some one I tell them to go ride it and get a good idea of how long they can go and watch the needle.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:18 AM   #7
thelt
Not Yet Wild

That answers my question, thanks for your time.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
reddog681
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
It looks like this right?

The needle should go all the way to the right of the white area a little into the red is OK while charging then drop back to the middle of the white area after the charger has kicked off.
When you hit the gas it should deflect back to the left and then settle out back up towards the white. If the batteries are old and not holding a charge then it will keep moving left on the gauge.
Batteries can be charged but not hold it very long.
Can you tell me how your meter is wired, i just got one today
Thanks Roy
reddog681@atmc.net
reddog681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
69makinitmine
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Yes, the needle will move left when you give it more pedal. The "State of Charge" gauge on the right is the same as your standard volt meter on the left. The only differences are going to be the scale behind the needle and scale range or sensitivity. Think of it this way, if you turn on your headlights on a car, then crank to start, the headlights dim because of the starter drawing the voltage down under a load. This is what your gauges are showing you when you give it pedal. In fact, when cranking, a good 12v bat in car should be able to hold 9.6 volts minimum, or your car won't start! (neat fact if you didn't know it). Very important to make sure the volt/charge gauges are NOT powered with key off or they WILL put a small constant drain on batteries and possibly kill 'em if parked for a while.
69makinitmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts